Video edit build on a budget

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Hey folks, I'm looking to save some dollars for a worthy NFP that needs a moderate powerful PC for video editing. They have a max $1900 budget and currently I've put this togther

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KKCJnH

Also need to add WIn 8 in there.

Based the above on my system which is a few years older but performing well. I also have a couple of spare SSD's I will donate for cache and software drives etc.

I would very much appreciate any feedback on this especially re price/performance.

Much thanks all.

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014

Thanks for the brainpick mate - not considered Ryzen as always been an Intel guy. I tried a build with Ryzen 7 2700 + Asus prime X470 Pro and just added a few hundred bucks. Would like to keep it down to around $1500 bare bones coz I also need to add Windows and monitor.

BUT - with your suggestion - what are the real-world benefits over Intel i5?
Also the 2800 vs 2400 - price vs real world benefits? That's an extra $50 at the cheapest i could see. Worth it?
Thanks mate

InvalidError

Titan
The 2700 has two extra cores and SMT. That's 10 extra threads over the i5. For things like video encoding, Ryzen 2700 will be 50-100% faster than the i5-8400 depending on how well-threaded the editing suite and encoders are. Well worth the extra ~$100 on the CPU. If you would be more comfortable with sticking to Intel, then the i7-8700/8700k is another option to consider.

Ryzen's performance is considerably more sensitive to memory clock, so you definitely want to aim for 2666MT/s at a minimum. You should also be able to find 2800MT/s DDR4 for about the same price.

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time for such a considered and helpful answer mate. Very much appreciated and gives me more options to consider.