Video Game Sales Fall for 6th Consecutive Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
In other news "Video game quality falls for the 6th month in a row, PC gamers still getting the shaft, are searching desperately for lube"

randomizer

Champion
What do you expect when every AAA game is a copy of another one with a new coat of paint so they can go on about how realistic it looks rather than how fun it is? Adding "black ops" to the end of the name of a Call of Duty title does not make it something other than another Call of Duty title. There are now 8 of them including development versions. You can only play the same thing so many times before it loses its entertainment value.

Gamers need a new gimick to get them to by the latest recycled titles. Maybe they want to keep active while playing games?

25130.gif

G

Duh! In a time when a LOT of people are out of work, or worried about keeping their job, blowing income on video games is just outright stupid. People save up money, wait for a game they will really really like and buy that. None of us know what is coming in the next year of few, esp in the USA with all the new taxes coming down.

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
How can system sales be fine , yet software sales be down? Pretty simple really , Gamefly. I use to buy 2-3 games a month, I havent bought a single console game since I joined gamefly. Why should I throw out $60+ for a 12hour game, i put it in my que, beat it in 3 days, send it back for a new one.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
What's interesting about console sales is they don't realize that most people who are going to buy one already have...i'm still surprised they sell as good as they do 0.0

G

stop complaining about starcraft 2 being $60. Mine over here it costs $109.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Try porting Halo, Halo: ODST and Halo Reach to PC and we'll see who comes out first.

...Yeah, that's what I thought.

Oh, and yeah, try making a game with a REAL anti-hack system. For those that say that can't be done, I call BS.

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Maybe they should stop making terrible games and care about their customers more. I'm sick of buying games only to find out another version will come out, or I'm going to have to buy a 15 dollar add-on to keep up with the game community. Get back to the roots and maybe we will take our chances and buy a 60 dollar game. Until then, my money goes into savings.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Try porting Halo, Halo: ODST and Halo Reach to PC and we'll see who comes out first[/citation]
Halo is a big seller for the Xbox 360. Microsoft aren't going to try and straddle their cash cow across two platforms and risk losing sales of Xbox consoles.

HaakonXCI

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Reason I don't buy games anymore is because of all the stupid add-ons that they enforce for online play or things that shouldve been in the game anyways (Borderlands ugh..).

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Well, considering Civ 5 was a huge disappointment and there was really nothing else that interesting. I can understand that Sept sales feel. It also doesn't help that the console market isn't coming out with any really exciting games either, which for me mean RPG's. October at least has Fallout New Vegas, and Borderland Robolution was a lot of fun. Other then those two there isn't much to catch my attention. Fable 3 for PC is probably coming out in December, so once again PC gamers get the shaft there. Then add Force Unleashed 2 being in the questionable category because of how bad the Force Unleashed port turned out.

It shouldn't be a surprise that I want to spend my money some where else. Like Jim Butcher's Side Jobs, Warhammer 40k's Firedrake and First Herteic.

Console games and consoles are kind of limited I think they have reached a saturation point everyone who plays it has it and it's not like a PC that can keep being upgraded to do more and more stuff, I would compare a console to a Microwave.... it's like a home appliance now.... although I don't have one, my kid makes up for it, he has two :)
So I really can't see putting any money in it as worth the machine.....
They make games for the console..... so of course that should just increase game sales, but, these days the quality of games has got so bad that I doubt anyone will really try anything other than what worked best on their PCs.
Really don't know, why this is a big headline, but, it's a fact that either the console makers expect miracles or the game makers feel cheated....

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Try porting Halo, Halo: ODST and Halo Reach to PC and we'll see who comes out first....Yeah, that's what I thought.Oh, and yeah, try making a game with a REAL anti-hack system. For those that say that can't be done, I call BS.[/citation]
If a real anti-hack system can be done, then why dont you make it? You would make probably more money than any person alive if you did.

As for the article... at least they cant blame "piracy" for sales being down like they do every time this happens for PCs.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Let's see...6 months since other os was taken away right? Maybe a trend of taking features away isn't the best idea for a console manufacture to h ave...I feel like the game console guys are like credit card companies lately: M$ raising the live cost and $ony introducing a pay model for PSN...sorry the consumer has been in a downturn for a lot longer than 6 months!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I want to buy PC games, but I can't find anything interesting lately...[/citation]
I agree. It is hard to come by original games. I just buy about 2 games a year, but the price plus not being able to return it( on PC) if I don't like it makes me very cautious about new titles.
Plus, I wanted to try Princ of Percia what ever the last title was, but the whole DRM thing prompt me to boicot it.
Portal 2 on the other hand has me planning a hardware upgrade.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
you want to know why no one is buying games? 60 will only buy you a 12 hour game... seriously if i wanted some to do for 60 dollars for 12 hours i would get in my car and go skateboarding...

Status
Not open for further replies.