VIDEO: HP's Windows 7 Slate Gets Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It seemed pretty responsive. With a good docking station setup Hp might be able to convince some business's to upgrade their tired old p4 xp towers.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
It looks ok. Nothing revolutionary though. It needs a little speed-up. Also maybe a Tiny7? 14 Gb of hdd space lost only for windows is too much. Especially if they will sell them in 32 Gb versions.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
To be honest, I am not impressed at all. Windows 7 is not designed to be a tablet OS. I would prefer it to be Ubuntu-like or maybe Android based.

For now I will stick with my iPad, but I look forward to more Windows offerings.

mkyam

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
When do they ever learn to design a completely new OS for touch interface instead of porting the desktop version of the OS? I don't know how much R&D it's going to take, but if they continue like this all they're going to get is following behind Apple's footstep, and way behind.

I'm not an Apple's fan, but I'm yet to see a decent tablet (in terms of user interface, not features) that can rival Apple's.

synergi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Windows 7 is designed to run with touch. You only have to use the touch pack software to know that. Its the software that runs on Windows that has to be built for touch. I wish people would stop talking about what they have no clue about.

The iPad, while great, (I own one too) is not a real computer. In the moments I attempt to be productive on my iPad, I spend literally hours looking for Apps and work a rounds to do what I want it to do. It seems we are becoming a nation that wants dumb down Apps over real, well done software.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Slow bootup, slow and laggy response, and buggy scrolling.

Ugh oh... This will never sell... No wonder HP pulled the Win 7 Slate off the market.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Anyone catch that he's using an iPhone to record this? A bit ironic.

Anyway, no thanks. Didn't care for the iPad, either so I didn't buy that. I wouldn't mind a cell phone w/ that size screen though. Would make texting a HELL of a lot easier for me.

G

Lol ya the Iphone. It would be nice if he showed like skype or something to where u can talk and multi task on it like a phone. A cool feature for it to have would be like it can blue tooth with your phone so u can use the tablet and not have to pull your phone out and try to juggle both.

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
this is by far the worse attempt to compete against the Ipad that ive seen so far lol
and im not a Apple fan...
not impressed at all... since when is win 7 optimized for such devices ? seems slow ,and buggy, and OMG that manual activation of the keyboard sucks so much, can't believe these guys came up with that and think they gonna grab some market shares... unbelievable ! Seems to get out of an obscure cheap asian competitor factory, i can't believe this is what HP can do... Either this particular Business unit sucks very much or dont have budgets... either the guys that work in it are just dumb asses...

Kracer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
A UI has to be designed for desktop or touchscreen and windows is for desktop. Oh and by the way I rhink it's dead slow. Boot up was OK but see that scrolling I don't know but I think it's worse than android. Windows isn't the Os to make a tablet on. Neither is android or iOS as they are designed for 3"-4" screens

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Stop. Please, just stop.

Tablets have been out there for years and if it's one thing I know, it's that hardly no-one has even seen one let alone tapped a screen. Of course, most of us have now seen and used an iPad and seem to think that anything else isn't quite there and thus repeat what they've read on forums.

I've owned over 13 tablets so I know their shortcomings and problems but I'm glad Windows 7 arrived. Latitude XT and XT2, Acer 1820ptz, HP TC1100 amongst a few and I'm sitting next to an Asus R2h and Sony UX right now. (Also owned an Archos 9)

1 - Change the DPI (If res over 1024x600) to 125%.
2 - Fit an SSD. Mechanical drives are SLOW.

Without much difficulty, my Acer 1820ptz booted to the desktop in 15 seconds. Is that fast enough for you? I prefer to have complete control of what I want to do. Does Windows 7 offer you that? Yes.

One more thing, how many of you commenting here have actually 'used' a Windows 7 tablet of some form? How many have enabled 'Gestures' or multi-touch scrolling? (Yes, two fingers on the screen to scroll or one finger swipe). As for the keyboard, the choice of a button to launch is odd as it appears whenever there's a text entry box or available from the side of the screen where you've docked it. But, of course, you already knew that.

"To be honest, I am not impressed at all. Windows 7 is not designed to be a tablet OS" Don't make me laugh. Tell that to my Sony UX that has a 4.5" screen and windows 7. Or a HP tc4400. etc etc etc

G

Sorry but a full OS just does not work on these tablets. I like the way Apple has approached the iPad. Applications designed for Touch screen. A specifically designed OS works much better. I just do not think even Windows 7 can handle tablets.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]Sorry but a full OS just does not work on these tablets. I like the way Apple has approached the iPad. Applications designed for Touch screen. A specifically designed OS works much better. I just do not think even Windows 7 can handle tablets.[/citation]

Which means that you've not used one, thus have no idea what you're talking about of even the start of the Touch functions within Windows 7. Did you read any of the comments?

danhitchcock

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
wow no usb? Maybe i'm missing the point of the tablet pc niche but i would expect to see just some kind of way to expand the functionality. After all, I think of tablets as big smart phones with extra functionality (however you want to define that)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]danhitchcock[/nom]wow no usb? Maybe i'm missing the point of the tablet pc niche but i would expect to see just some kind of way to expand the functionality. After all, I think of tablets as big smart phones with extra functionality (however you want to define that)[/citation]
It has an USB port on the top of the device and the video mentions it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
30 seconds to boot - small price to pay for being able to actually install my home printer, play flash videos/games and attach USB devices.

SD card port, looks full sized, so micro will go in an adapter, but full sized as well so i can use the ones from my digital camera.

Only complaint is the size of the on-screen keyboard, they could have a more compact version - even the built-in on-screen keyboard in the Ease Of Access folder would be preferable, hopefully other keyboards will be available as add-on apps.

OK, how much?

This is what I hope:

1) HP decides to integrated SSD to the system.
2) The Win7 platform will be cleaned up and made much easier to use and start.
3) The screen is easy to clean,( I hate the look of smudges from fingers).
4) HP will sell it cheaper than their Apple counterpart.
5) There will be a sol kit and a Full kit to each system.
6) The battery is most powerful and can last for HOURS w/o charging up.
7) To see different storage measurements: 32,50,64,90,128 GB. Hek a 1TB would be awesome.
8) HP doesn't screw things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.