VIDEO: It's Doom 2 Running on a Color Calculator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
The smart person created the application and got it to run on a calculator. To keep his level of intelligence higher than others, he gave them access to the game.

G

Calculators ARE DUMBING people down!! I have asked many so called math "experts" to find the 5th, 3rd and square root of 7 to 6 correct decimal places and they could not do it!!!! I am talking about PHd type people here!! They cannot even find the SIN or COSINE of something like 17 degrees to 6 correct decimal places without a calculator!!! Not even contemporary math books teach these old methods anymore.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Oh, and the claim DOOM was running on a TI-83 previously was inaccurate. It was actually run on an older model Nspire that has a grayscale screen rather than the color one. Other than that, the specs are the same.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
calculators aren't dumbing people down..it just makes life easier for the people like me, who don't focus their career on solving math equations. I have a different job in mind to make myself so called "intellectual."

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Paid $100 for a bloody calculator, and had two stolen in a year... There must have been some reason the TI 83+ costs so bloody much. I'll admit, it does have great battery life, but I'd sooner use a bloody smartphone. Waiting a few minutes for it to do a calculation; doing complex equations and running out of memory; refusing to work when it's cold (I live in Canada, of course it's going to get cold in my book bag).People have been making games for these for quite a while though. Neat to see there's finally something playable.[/citation]

School board: "NO! YOU'RE GOING TO CHEAT WITH THAT CELLPHONE, AND YOU SHOULDN'T BE USING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

Detention

G

Calculators don't dumb people down,it is the person that tries to be smart by using a calculator,and ignoring concepts and procedures,lots of them are just a key sequences munching bots .

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]LOL.. Our calculators are now doing what computers did like 10-15 years ago..What the heck are calculators of 2022 going to be able to do..? :|Let alone computers..[/citation] Yeah overpriced $150 calculators hardly impressive I'm sure you can get a $150 tablet that could run more than doom 2 for that much or $100 wii can be hacked to run quake 2 CTF.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Paid $100 for a bloody calculator, and had two stolen in a year... There must have been some reason the TI 83+ costs so bloody much. I'll admit, it does have great battery life, but I'd sooner use a bloody smartphone. Waiting a few minutes for it to do a calculation; doing complex equations and running out of memory; refusing to work when it's cold (I live in Canada, of course it's going to get cold in my book bag).People have been making games for these for quite a while though. Neat to see there's finally something playable.[/citation]
It's a ripoff, with that ancient hardware. 1.5 MEGABYTES of storage on the top end model (TI-84 Silver). 24KB memory on all of them. Really? And it has a slow refresh rate, monochrome screen, transfers things (to/from a computer or another calculator, oh yeah the TI-83 doesn't even have a usb port) at a slower speed than dialup... kinda of a POS... at least I can run tetris on one...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]It's the same reason the calculus textbooks you're using with it cost $150-200 (or more!) new.These are both a result of the same thing... Having a Z80 @6MHz and only 32KB of RAM will do that for you.[/citation]
Kinda annoying, since students tend to not have all that much money. (I can definitely see myself buying a ereader and pirating all my textbooks in college because buying them costs so much.) Oh btw, the TI-83 and TI-84 have 24KB ram, not 32KB. Even the highest-end model, the TI-84 Silver, has only 1.5MB storage. Yes, megabytes! If they put an SD slot in there, I'd actually have a use for those 32MB SD cards I have that came with cameras that people gave me.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]School board: "NO! YOU'RE GOING TO CHEAT WITH THAT CELLPHONE, AND YOU SHOULDN'T BE USING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"Detention[/citation]
I already figured out how you can put notes on a calculator (make a new program, and type stuff in it, though obviously you can't actually execute that; maybe you can write the program on a PC and then transfer it via USB to the calculator). lol And even when I just had a basic calculator (TI30XA), I figured out that you could put matte tape on it and then write in pencil on it (keep in mind that I just put the tape there because I didn't like the glossy finish around the screen causing reflections, and didn't actually cheat with it).

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]It's a ripoff, with that ancient hardware. 1.5 MEGABYTES of storage on the top end model (TI-84 Silver). 24KB memory on all of them. Really? And it has a slow refresh rate, monochrome screen, transfers things (to/from a computer or another calculator, oh yeah the TI-83 doesn't even have a usb port) at a slower speed than dialup... kinda of a POS... at least I can run tetris on one...[/citation]
The new models aren't too bad. The one in the demo has a 90mhz CPU (but you can overclock it to 150 easily), 64MB of RAM and 128MB of flash.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
a lot of you people missed my original point and some a-holes even gave my original point 3 thumbs down. YOU SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING GAMES ON A CALCULATOR period. it is a strait up work tool. would you like your kids to be f---ing off playing games on their calculator in high school instead of doing their work? how would you feel about getting open heart surgery form a "doctor" that half a--ed his way through med school and played games on the school computers instead of using them for study ? wow would you like to fly in an air plane designed by an engineer that screwed off playing games on his calculator while he was designing said plane ?

we don't need new way's to screw off on work tools Any one that gives me a thumbs down for making this VERY valid statement, doesn't deserve to ever do any thing more important than fix some one's hamburger, because you obviously miss the point of WHY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE GAMES ON A WORK DEVICE.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
If only I would have had one of those in high school. Until I saw this video I felt spoiled having tetris and mario running on my TI 84.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]a lot of you people missed my original point and some a-holes even gave my original point 3 thumbs down. YOU SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING GAMES ON A CALCULATOR period. it is a strait up work tool. would you like your kids to be f---ing off playing games on their calculator in high school instead of doing their work? how would you feel about getting open heart surgery form a "doctor" that half a--ed his way through med school and played games on the school computers instead of using them for study ? wow would you like to fly in an air plane designed by an engineer that screwed off playing games on his calculator while he was designing said plane ? we don't need new way's to screw off on work tools Any one that gives me a thumbs down for making this VERY valid statement, doesn't deserve to ever do any thing more important than fix some one's hamburger, because you obviously miss the point of WHY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE GAMES ON A WORK DEVICE.[/citation]

Your examples seem extraordinarily unrealistic. An airplane can't be designed by someone playing a game on a calculator, it would never be built if it had flaws caused by this and even then I'm not sure of if calculators play a huge part in air foil design. Also, how could someone get through a school of any kind that more or less requires a calculator and they play games on it rather than spend their time properly? such a person would never become a doctor, he/she would never be allowed to graduate.

Besides all that, who are you to tell other people how to use their stuff? I can grab my TI-84+ and do whatever I want with it regardless of what you think or believe because you have no control nor any right to any control over what I do unless it endangers someone. Me playing Doom 2 on my calculator doesn't endanger you nor anyone else. A computer can be just as much of a work device as a calculator but that doesn't mean I've never played games on my computers.

Furthermore, why does a doctor doing open heart surgery need a calculator? I'm not an expert in surgery and am a little perplexed by this statement of yours.

Do to your failure to provide compelling evidence to support your apparent claims that calculators should never have games and your total lack of disrespect for the other people on this forum I felt giving you a thumbs down was justified. That's my opinion and whining/trolling me or anyone else for disliking your post when you seem to have failed to provide thought-out comments is just that, whining and trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.