VIDEO: Quake 3 Running on Tiny, Little Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Why not? AFAIK, Quake 3 can run on SGS 1. I ran it on my old Celeron 500 MHz w/ 384MB RAM. It's not a resource hog or something... but a fun shooter for sure. Still nothing like it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
damn, all i can say.

now that being said, i would love this thing if it can be used as a network device, to stream video to a tv over wifi, would be nice for a cheap device like this to be able output video without all the constraints that are on the current ps3 and 360.

You guys make a good point. Something that can run that game doesn't need much of hardware, but the fact that it can be sold for $35 is amazing. It really begs the question: Why these new handheld consoles aren't looking at being handheld media powerhouses?

Can a PS Vita stream my PC's shared media to input on any TV nearby or play plenty of fun games to wireless PS3 controllers? It should.

The price of capable hardware is almost in a freefall the last few years. My family paid $2000 for a midrange laptop in 1999. Now it's $550 for a midrange laptop. Soon it'll be $50 for a handheld that satisfies all my computing needs.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I still prefer a little more expensive, but also a little more powerful.
Many complained about the Atom processor, but this is about 1/2 to 1/8th the speed of an Atom processor

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I am a bit skeptical about that price. Smartphones with similar power to this still cost way more to build. It is a cool little device though.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I played Quake 3 on a PII 400Mhz CPU with an Nvidia TNT 16MB PCI graphics card, with framerates around 70-90... So this is not at all impressive. I think even mobile phones now would run Quake 3 maxed out...

It's natural that nowadays, all that power would fit in a single chip.

This is defiantly going to be a positive for developing countries. A cheap computer that can do your basic usages, word docs, browsing internet and what not. Certainly not crazy performance, but enough performance. For a low price too!

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I bet the 4x antialiasing slows things quite a bit. I'm more interested in 1080p HD video! If this thing can play BluRay movies I'm so ordering one.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]I still prefer a little more expensive, but also a little more powerful.Many complained about the Atom processor, but this is about 1/2 to 1/8th the speed of an Atom processor[/citation]

but a completely different kind of processor...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]I played Quake 3 on a PII 400Mhz CPU with an Nvidia TNT 16MB PCI graphics card, with framerates around 70-90... So this is not at all impressive. I think even mobile phones now would run Quake 3 maxed out... It's natural that nowadays, all that power would fit in a single chip.[/citation]

It would probably do much better without 4xAA. I also remember running Quake 2 on a P2-450 with dual Voodoo2 at 90fps and that system couldn't run Q3 at more than 30 fps. I upgraded to a P3-800 with a TNT2 32mb to get the 90 FPS you speak of. I'm pretty sure you're getting your games mixed up.

Also, don't forget you paid a shitload for your computer. If this thing is really $35, then it is very impressive. Especially considering the failed $100 laptop project.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]But can it run Crysis?[/citation]
Technically, it could VNC into another computer over LAN or the internet (OnLive?) and play it.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Unreal Tournament > Quake III Arena
More vibrant color. Better textures. Better AI.
I am sure they could run Unreal Tournament on that thing too if they wanted...

G

@beayn

if your referring to the OLPC project that was sabotaged by intel so they can sell their slightly more expensive version to developing countries, it didn't quite fail, just did not shift as many units as expected, but the good news is they have learned a little form their experience and version 2 is on the way (albeit it tablet flavor)

G

I'll bet no one played it on any old processor or video card with 1920x1080p resolution like this is doing, my guess would be you played at 640x480 or 800x600 which would require far less graphics capability

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Unreal Tournament > Quake III ArenaMore vibrant color. Better textures. Better AI. I am sure they could run Unreal Tournament on that thing too if they wanted...[/citation]
Quoted for truth.

Run it using the enhanced OpenGL renderer along with the high resolution textures off the second disc and it won't look bad at all.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Since this is linux based and can perform at 1080p... I could see myself buying one of these and putting XBMC on it and taking advantage of the USB port with a 2TB hard drive filled with movies.

This could be the cheapest way to build a HTPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.