Video Quality Tested: GeForce Vs. Radeon In HQV 2.0

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orleans704

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

I don't find anywhere in this article that GPU acceleration should be turned off (in WMP or Flash or anything else). Why would you think using the GPU would result in poorer quality?

orleans704

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]taso11[/nom]I'm sorry. I was referrencing this later article:http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2839.htmlI should have clarified. My brain has kind of mixed them both lol. Once I turned off hardware acceleration the blockiness went away. I can only comment on my personal experience.[/citation]

Thanks. If you turn OFF video acceleration do you get to take advantage of the items mentioned in this article: dynamic contrast, edge enhancement, flesh tone correction, etc.?

orleans704

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]orleans704[/nom]Thanks. If you turn OFF video acceleration do you get to take advantage of the items mentioned in this article: dynamic contrast, edge enhancement, flesh tone correction, etc.?[/citation]

Proved it to myself that is indeed true. Use the split screen demo mode to see that changes apply to WMP (and others) with AND without GPU acceleration.

Thanks taso11 for the info.

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
No problem. So the reality is if you want best picture quality you need a capable processor and disable hardware acceleration. If your processor is incapable and/or you want fast encodes/decodes enable hardware acceleration and give up best picture quality. It just irks me that it goes against what we are fed to believe that hardware acceleration is so great.

G

Can you explain why the 5450 received a 0 in "resolution enhancement"? Every other review on the card indicates that it upscales the same as the other 5xxx cards.

Believe it or not, this is a major aspects of a HTPC card, since many people have dozens (or hundreds) of dvd movies (480P) and will be playing them through this card on a 1080P display.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Stomper88[/nom]Can you explain why the 5450 received a 0 in "resolution enhancement"? Every other review on the card indicates that it upscales the same as the other 5xxx cards. [/citation]

Reading the review would help. :)

Page two:
"While the Radeon HD 5450 has the “Edge enhancement” and “Enable dynamic contrast” options available, we find that it isn’t able to provide smooth playback with these turned on. "

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
A lot has changed sense those days.

An updated review would be awesome. Latest drivers, a bigger arrange of tested hardware...

Going from integrated like the AMD E-450, nVidia ION or the Intel 3000, to descrete on low, mid and high-end on older and newer hardware.

That would be totally awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.