Video Ram Motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 9, 2018
My GPU is a gtx 1070 ti and haves GDDR5....my ram is a G skills Ripjaws v series 16gb with DDR4..will it still work with my gpu being GDDR5 and ram being DDR4? Oh and I heard that my cpu is not compatible with my motherboard and recommend I should get a z270 motherboard. (I have a z170a motherboard.) But my ram says its a Intel z170 desktop memory model. Will my ram work on a z270 motherboard?

Solution
OK there are a few options you have to help save your self some money.

1. if you know someone with a 6xxx series or older CPU that is compatible with your board you can ask them to borrow it to update the BIOS on your Z170 board.

2. You can purchase the cheapest CPU you can find that is compatible with that board and install it to update the BIOS to allow the 7xxx series to be compatible and then sell the cheap CPU to recoup some of the money

3. Send the board back to manufacture, for a price, and have them flash the BIOS chip to the newest BIOS for you. You may find that option 2 is cheaper than this.

or finally 4. purchase a a Z270 motherboard. This is the most expensive option.

I would recommend borrowing a friends CPU to...
May 9, 2018

Oh and the i3 that you recommend me to get is coming later on this morning. A friend of mine helped me get it. I'm at work at the moment. Its about to be 4 am and my i3 should arrive by 8:30 or 9 am

May 9, 2018

Hey man. My i3 came in. But it came in when I had to get up and get ready for work. But when I get home I'll get straight to work on my pc.

May 9, 2018

Hey man my pc got a display! I installed the i3 and I installed windows10 pro. I was playing around with it like watching youtube and stuff haha. Idk how I feel about updating bios...I'm kinda nervous! Haha. But just reply back to me and I'll get started on updating it

downlaod the newest bios for your mb. unzip it to a usb stick. plug the usb stick in and reboot to the bios. whe nin the bios click on the utility tab. under the tab is the bios updater. when you click to run the bios updater it ask where the bios file is. point it to the usb stick and let it update.

May 9, 2018

Should I just go to m flash and do it from there?