VIDEO: UEFI Replacing Ancient BIOS Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Tom's news people need to get on the ball on the latest news, this is like several month old news.[/citation]

Video posted by SweClockers November 03, 2010.
Several months?..

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ZyxMEvEuuxcZ[/nom]What took them so long?[/citation]
It was mostly because of legacy issues. If I remember correctly no 32-bit windows os supports efi. This rules out the most common os, windows xp.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]so ... when will the ancient x86 be replace ?[/citation]

As soon as possible I hope. x86 is a bloated, inefficient instruction set, especially due to the properietary extensions. In an ideal world, an alternative to x86 would be found, but that's unlikely to happen.

However, simply dropping the properietary extensions and creating a single, simplified instruction set would be an incredible improvement already.

Very nice indeed, i would like to hope that they could update older boards with UEFI aswell that were released within the past few years as asus allows the use of bios or efi with some of their high end intel boards.

about all the x86 haters, what would be better is for a standards organisation be made for x86 to allow the deprecation of old features and reclasification and cleanup of the opcode space for a new generation of cpu's, maybe also since they are becoming multi core having a legacy core or 2 and the newer cores running on the cleaned up x86 architecture perhaps?

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This is long overdue. HP has been using EFI as standard on all Itanium based HP-UX servers since at least 2005, and of course Apple has been using it on all machines since 2006. PC needs to get with the times, Legacy BIOS is some seriously crufty old stuff, essentially unchanged since the 1980's.

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]It was mostly because of legacy issues. If I remember correctly no 32-bit windows os supports efi. This rules out the most common os, windows xp.[/citation]

MSI have motherboard supporting both BIOS and UEFI for months....http://www.msi.com/html/popup/MB/uefi/download.html

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the fellow in the video did know his area well and most options in UEFI itself seems to be relative similar to old bios and the option of UEFI update via UEFI itself seems really good!
If there is not any major breeding problems with UEFI, this is definitely something that can make life in computer world a little bit easier.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
They've wanted to replace the bios for a good 10 years now but the industry refused to go for the change. Now that computers have since dug their way into most peoples daily lives thats changed. The ability to use your mouse along with the GUI is what gets me though. Slowly but surely we are starting to leave the DOS technology in the wind as sad as it may be.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
This is all cool & all & I am sure I will like the new features but lets face it this is mostly made for people that are morons that can not navigate a regular bios. Yes it is feature rich & probably faster but when I see this new bios I instantly think this was not made for people that actually know a lot about computers but for those that can barely find the power switch. Now do we actually want people like that to be able to navigate in the new bios & screw things up not really no. But then again I am sure it will make lots of extra tech support work that can be charge out because someone could not keep their plump little fingers off of the mouse button so yes please go ahead I release this already we need to extra work Christmas is coming up after all. lol

G

Waethorn and what is firmware? and what is the bios? it brings the bios system into 2010 and makes it 64bit startup aswell from 16bit which is another reason why 32bit systems cant boot from efi aswell

[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]As soon as possible I hope. x86 is a bloated, inefficient instruction set, especially due to the properietary extensions. In an ideal world, an alternative to x86 would be found, but that's unlikely to happen.However, simply dropping the properietary extensions and creating a single, simplified instruction set would be an incredible improvement already.[/citation]

The biggest problem is support. Intel had the ideal jump from x86 in Itanium. IA64 was an amazing arch, for 64bit that is. But it has to emulate x86 for backwards support which ended up causing huge performance losses (20%+).

ARM has had x86 replacements but still it has to emulate x86 and it just doesn't perform the same.

At any rate we can thank IBM and AMD for extending x86's life. They made x86-64 and since it didn't emulate x86 performed the same on 32bit as well as 64bit capabilities.

If anything I think MS can help to push x86 out the door so we can move to a naitive 64bit arch when they make Windows 64bit only. It is the next logical step and maybe within the next 10 years we will see 64bit with x86 extentions for support. I wouldn't mind.

but man that UEFI looks damn sexy. A welcome change and hopefully brings new features to the board.

I do wonder how well it will handle OCing though. Maybe it will be more stable or maybe not. Only time will tell.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]w1zz4[/nom]MSI have motherboard supporting both BIOS and UEFI for months....http://www.msi.com/html/popup/MB/uefi/download.html[/citation]
The p5q from asus supports both bios and uefi for more than a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.