VIDEO: User Crams 16 TB into SFF Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I hope he's using a decent raid setup because those disks may fail a little early what with all the metal dust and sparks he blew at them while cutting metal etc for the case! I'm also not convinced that the cooling of the hard drives is ideal.

Edit: Just realised after getting towards the end of the second video that the original hard drives there were old scrap ones for sizing reasons so the sparks and dust doesn't matter. :) Great build!

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]dunderklumpton[/nom]Awesome Torrent box, but a bit large for my needs. But can it play Cr... n/m[/citation]
No, but I think it can store Crysis.

chess

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Has an iron man feel to it lol but..I wonder how in the world is he gonna fit the power and sata cables

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I hope he's using a decent raid setup because those disks may fail a little early what with all the metal dust and sparks he blew at them while cutting metal etc for the case! I'm also not convinced that the cooling of the hard drives is ideal.[/citation]
He probably doesn't have to worry about longevity; with 16TB worth of torrents running he will have all his gear confiscated by the BSA, RIAA, MPAA, or similar agency within the week. Problem solved!

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Wow, he put so much time and effort into this, I don't understand why he didn't leave more space for airflow between the hard drives, and it seems like mounting them at the odd angle would be bad for the motors...

G

i think i know the who next victim for the MPAA and RIAA is......

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]16TB of entirely legitimate stuff to share, for sureWho has 16TB of s[/citation]
Seriously, what does anyone need with 16TB? And for what he must have spent on those drives, wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy those movies and games?

Still, it was a nice experiment in the "what if" category.

G

It also looks like the HD's he had during the build process were old ones, since he brought in the new shipment of individual 2TB drives at the end.

I am going to get trolled for this but cutting sheet metal near drives and boards is a very bad idea. Why simple the shavings can get ware they should not be and create electrical shorts. Second the cooling on the drives isn't enough for both performance and life, hard drives need to be cooled.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I am going to get trolled for this but cutting sheet metal near drives and boards is a very bad idea. Why simple the shavings can get ware they should not be and create electrical shorts.[/citation]
Won't troll but rather correct you. He disassembled the entire thing to clean and paint it before putting it back together with the real drives. Shavings large enough to cause shorts would be rather visible.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Second the cooling on the drives isn't enough for both performance and life, hard drives need to be cooled.[/citation]
Fortunately those are "green" drives. :) A 140mm fan pumping the underside vents should be enough to remove the

ibemad

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I hope he's using a decent raid setup because those disks may fail a little early what with all the metal dust and sparks he blew at them while cutting metal etc for the case! I'm also not convinced that the cooling of the hard drives is ideal.Edit: Just realised after getting towards the end of the second video that the original hard drives there were old scrap ones for sizing reasons so the sparks and dust doesn't matter. Great build![/citation]

I know, I was thinking the same thing. He also would have probably wiped and destroyed the hard drives from the magnetic field generated from welding lol

[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]Maybe I'm too old but the FIRST thing that came to mind when I saw it was "Floppy case!"http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/37 [...] 346%29.jpg[/citation]

Me two this reminded me of one that my old school used to have with a clear top and on the front was the old Apple logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.