VIDEO: Windows 95 Running On the iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VWXYZ

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
that runs poorly :b if its a bad emulator or bad hardware I'm not to jugde.

But this isn't useable :b but its fun!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
How neat would it be with Win7, but IIRC the poor little ipad doesn't have nearly enough ram to run Win7, probably not enough to run any of the recent versions of MacOS either.

I wonder how long it will take MS to come up with reasonable touchpad usability for Win7.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
That is as close to multy tasking that iPad will get and it barely runs

The multitasking version of the OS for the ipod has already been announced. It will be available for the latest versions of the iphone and the ipod touch first, then the ipad later this year.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]vgdarkstar[/nom]I do...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ukPdboSGI[/citation]Nice setup. Seriously. But, my point is proven. If you can get that to use 2.5 watts and emulate Windows 95.. let me know.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Windows 95 runs on a fast 386 DX with 16 megs of ram so i think if they work on the emulation layers they can make it run a lot smoother and even jump to windows 2k (pentium 75Mhz 64 megs required in x86 world).
However its pretty neat to see people run x86 emulations on ARM platforms!

For those who ask why ... the answer is of course because they can and yes that is a valid answer specially on a website like this :D

G

Common gyus seriously now,who on this earth really thinks that the ipad is something new,powerfull and usable?It can't even do 2 things at a time and is soooo much difficult to use.You cannot even write on it if it's laying on a table because it's rear isn't flat.Take it outdoors and you can't see anything on the screen.God,even nokia's mobile N900 runs windows 95,android and linux.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Good. Now get flash to run on it.[/citation]
Flash sucks and need to be dropped by the whole net. It is nothing but a resource hogging advertisement platform. HTML5 and Open Gl is where it is at. MS does not want it because Open GL and Linux gaming has the potential to destroy their monopolistic grip on PC games.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If it can't handle W95 it will never be able to handle XP or MacOS. I understand it wasn't designed to run Windows 95 but what a piece of garbage. It's just an iTouch with a bigger screen.[/citation]
I played with one today at Best Buy. You do not want a full OS on it. What they have is nicely done.

7hemy7h

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I'd expect it to run a bit faster than that based on the iPad's specs. Too bad Apple didn't put OS X on it. At $500 with a full operating system I would have picked one up.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]DanSpd[/nom]I think everyone just got owned because to me it looks like VNC *no offences*[/citation]Nah.. they showed Win7 running through VNC on another article. Was just as fast, if not faster then this.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the sad thing it that windows 95 has more functionality and features than the iphone OS

If they can improve the emulator, they can probably even run windows xp

Windows XP needs a 233MHz CPU or faster
and only 64MB memory minimum

the Ipad more than meets these requirements.

PS windows XP can run on 16MB memory and 133MHz it will just be very slow as it will basically be using the page file for everything

G

Talking about an OLD OS!
I thought XP was supposed to getting old!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Talking about an OLD OS!
I thought XP was supposed to getting old!

An os is not old if it still gets the job done.

for most users, going from XP to vista or windows 7 adds nothing new for them as they are still doing the exact same thing.

The wheel can be considered old but we still use it because it gets the job done.

Other than new versions of direct x, the new OS offer nothing new to to most computer users. but the new OS do use more resources and thus less resources for applications to use and thus a slower OS.

Most people use the OS to run the applications they use. The goal of the OS is to run your programs and get out of the way as much as possible. A good OS is something that allows you to easily launch your programs as quickly and efficiently as possible, and thus the OS should use a little resources as possible.

Other than an embedded OS which is designed to do a specific thing, the OS that most users normally, is not used to replace the need for additional applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.