VIDEO: Windows Home Server ''Vail'' Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
and at least one160 GB hard drive.

I understand that it's common to require a hdd that has x amount of space, to ensure it has enough to hold the software / OS. But requiring a 160GB hdd? Is that common?

G

And where is the video precisely? Doesn't the article title having the annoying "VIDEO" label in all caps mean that this page is supposed to have a video?

G

Another MS bit of rubbish.. wanting too much. costing tooo much .. doing not much..
sound familiar..

Just install Ubuntu..
Problmes solved..

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]WheresTheBeef[/nom]And where is the video precisely? Doesn't the article title having the annoying "VIDEO" label in all caps mean that this page is supposed to have a video?[/citation]

I'm only human. Give me a break. You're one of those people who always remembers the milk, to pick up the dry cleaning and has never once sent an email without the attachment? I see this is your first post too. Charming first impression you make.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]Yes. Finally 64-bit. I might actually build a server now.[/citation]

Glad to see they're forcing 64-bit.

[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]It will run on a atom 330 with 2gigs ram just fine, 4 months up time and still counting and yes it will give an error if it detects less than 160gb hard drive.[/citation]

What sort of error? Will it allow you to install and run it regardless if it's less than 160gb?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I'm only human. Give me a break. You're one of those people who always remembers the milk, to pick up the dry cleaning and has never once sent an email without the attachment? I see this is your first post too. Charming first impression you make.

Haha, nice pwn. Geez mistakes happen; people need to lighten up. Sometimes I think Tom's Hardware has the most complainers.

Thanks for finding/posting the info. I have been anxiously waiting to build my home server, but I wanted to wait until "Vail" came out. I am downloading the Beta now!

Hopefully it will be cheap like WHS 1.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am not sure why they have the 160 GB requirement, but what use would there be for having WHS on a hard drive less than 160 GB? You wouldn't be able to backup or stream hardly anything. And if you needed to back up, it would be pointless to buy a computer for that and install WHS.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
This is a nice sign...nice the have x64 support. I have been waiting on Vail for some time.

I only hope that you can convert your current content from WHS v1 to this, and they drop the silly non-NTFS formatting of the drives that they currently have, so if your server fails, you can still get to the info on another non-WHS machine.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm only human. Give me a break. You're one of those people who always remembers the milk, to pick up the dry cleaning and has never once sent an email without the attachment? I see this is your first post too. Charming first impression you make.[/citation]

Funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm only human. Give me a break. You're one of those people who always remembers the milk, to pick up the dry cleaning and has never once sent an email without the attachment? I see this is your first post too. Charming first impression you make.[/citation]

Who forgets the milk? That is the first section I go to when I'm at the store.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I'll just continue to use Windows XP since all my RAID manufacturers have drivers for Windows XP. And I'll do my backups with Acronis since it can detect every network card (And RAID card oddly) I've thrown at it.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]You'd make a great milkman.[/citation]

If I had a dime for every time I heard that...

I would still be confused by that comment. <('.'<)

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i just dont see Microsoft creating a server platform that will be able to compete with the security of a Linux server... at least not at the moment... open source just seems the way to go for me when it comes to a server i can trust with my data...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]If I had a dime for every time I heard that...I would still be confused by that comment. <('.'<)[/citation]

Never forgetting the milk ... ? Oh nm.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Ms. McEntegart,

I think babybeluga is too young to know what a milkman is (he is a baby beluga afterall...)...actually, I think everyone here is too young to know what a milkman is. I mean, you can figure it out easily enough...but still. This brings me to a question: Do milkmen still operate in the UK? They basically stopped in the US around 50-60 years ago.

2zao,

Arguments about Linux vs MS Servers security aside, I am interested to see what security this new WMS uses. I know it is based off of Microsoft Server 2008, but the security description on "Vail" is lacking. Seems rather important especially since they are advertising remote use.

G

windows home server is useless, windows vista allows you to hook up a NAS or multiple HDD in your system, it allows you to create users, and privileges, and you can serve files, and other server stuff like printer.

dont waste your cash on a stupid POS get vista premium it does all the same, except you need to see some sites to help you undersand command line fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.