Question VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE [nvlddmkm.sys]

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
Two days ago got this VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE out of the blue while playing RDR2 and since then happened many times while trying to play RDR2 and also surfing the web using Chrome. Tried below steps but still having this issue (not using any overclocking tools)
What can be the issue here ? Can this be a hardware issue in my gpu :confused_old:

specs of the pc -
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Ryzen 3600
PNY ddr4 3200mhz 8gb x 2
MSI Ventus-2X-OC RTX 3060ti
Gigabyte G750H
Antec neptune 120 argb AIO
Addlink S70 250GB
WD Blue 1tb + Seagate 1tb
MSI mag forge 100m + extra 120mm MSI argb fan
Windows 10 64bit

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to...e-bsods-and-video_tdr_timeout_detected-errors

If clean installing drivers isn't working, time to look at hardware, going by that article.
1)Remove all overclocks, be it Precision Boost Overdrive, A-XMP, and Msi Afterburner.
[If gpu hardware acceleration is enabled in Chrome, try disabling that.]

2)Psu is hot trash, as seen from TechPowerUp and Gamers' Nexus reviews.
Try Corsair RMX series, XPG Core Reactor, or Superflower Leadex III Gold... if those are not available, provide a link to the store you shop from.

3)If neither of those helped, the damage may have already been done...

Reactions: Versuz

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to...e-bsods-and-video_tdr_timeout_detected-errors

If clean installing drivers isn't working, time to look at hardware, going by that article.
1)Remove all overclocks, be it Precision Boost Overdrive, A-XMP, and Msi Afterburner.
[If gpu hardware acceleration is enabled in Chrome, try disabling that.]

2)Psu is hot trash, as seen from TechPowerUp and Gamers' Nexus reviews.
Try Corsair RMX series, XPG Core Reactor, or Superflower Leadex III Gold... if those are not available, provide a link to the store you shop from.

3)If neither of those helped, the damage may have already been done...

Thanks for the response!

1. Not using any overclocking tools
2.Ohh sorry, there was a mistake in the PSU model number, actually it's Gigabye G750H (corrected in original post)

Referred mentioned link and installed NirSoft BlueScreenView, but couldn't find any root cause related to this (a screenshot attached)
Capture.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gigabyte G750H: Not a potential fire hazard like the P-GMs, but not great either; I'm seeing it listed as Tier C.

And the graphics hardware acceleration in Chrome?

BlueScreenView is not something I use, so I'll have to ask for help - anyone else who knows is welcome to chime in.

Colif

Win 11 Master
At first I thought you had two cards in there - https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-ti-ventus-2x-oc

I don't see TDR errors on Nvidia cards often

TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery. This is a feature of the Windows operating system which detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card.

If the operating system does not receive a response from a graphics card within a certain amount of time (default is 2 seconds), the operating system resets the graphics card.
https://developer.download.nvidia.c...e/HTML/Content/Timeout_Detection_Recovery.htm
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Last edited:

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
Gigabyte G750H: Not a potential fire hazard like the P-GMs, but not great either; I'm seeing it listed as Tier C.

And the graphics hardware acceleration in Chrome?

BlueScreenView is not something I use, so I'll have to ask for help - anyone else who knows is welcome to chime in.

Disabled Chrome hardware acceleration yesterday and no bsd since then on web browsing. I found a deal for Antec High Current Gamer 650W and wondering whether I should upgrade the PSU to that.

Last edited:

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
At first I thought you had two cards in there - https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-ti-ventus-2x-oc

I don't see TDR errors on Nvidia cards often

https://developer.download.nvidia.c...e/HTML/Content/Timeout_Detection_Recovery.htm
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Thanks for your response! and yes I have a single GPU .

Here you can find the requested zip file.
Download minidump

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Disabled Chrome hardware acceleration yesterday and no bsd since then on web browsing. I found a deal for Antec High Current Gamer 650W and wondering whether I should upgrade the PSU to that.
That one should be great. I don't see any reviews of the 650w specifically, but a tier list tells me it's pretty high up there, as long as the unit you receive wasn't made before 2018, whose design has transient power sensitivity problems.
Antec's HCG is based on Seasonic's Focus platform. Seasonic updated Focus in 2018 to handle the transients better.

It's been 4 years... if you somehow get a pre-2018 model, return it and request a newer unit.

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
That one should be great. I don't see any reviews of the 650w specifically, but a tier list tells me it's pretty high up there, as long as the unit you receive wasn't made before 2018, whose design has transient power sensitivity problems.
Antec's HCG is based on Seasonic's Focus platform. Seasonic updated Focus in 2018 to handle the transients better.

It's been 4 years... if you somehow get a pre-2018 model, return it and request a newer unit.

Thanks for the insight!
Other than Antec ,these are the PSU models that I can find in my area for my budget range.
  • Asus Tuf Gaming 650w
  • Corsair Cv650
  • Corsair Cx750f
  • Msi Mpg A650gf 650w
I just ran GPU-Z background and played RDR2 for a while, got crashed and this is the GPU-Z Sensor Log (the log ends with the crash)
GPU-Z Sensor Log

I don't have much knowledge of this but is this voltage difference normal?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the insight, other than Antec these are PSU models that I can find in my area for my budget range.
  • Asus Tuf Gaming 650w
  • Corsair Cv650
  • Corsair Cx750f
  • Msi Mpg A650gf 650w
First one is an unknown. Might be worse than the HCG.
Second one is a definite pass. Maybe if you were using it with a 3050...
Third one is good.
Fourth one is up there with the HCG, but there's a note about the fan being noisy, and can be annoying even at low rpms.

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
First one is an unknown. Might be worse than the HCG.
Second one is a definite pass. Maybe if you were using it with a 3050...
Third one is good.
Fourth one is up there with the HCG, but there's a note about the fan being noisy, and can be annoying even at low rpms.

I think I should go with HCG once get a feedback from Colif.

And attached a GPU-Z Sensor Log in the quoted post, Can we get some idea using that, just ran another test and it shows minimum value 10.9V in 12 rails (not sure about the accuracy of gpuz software )

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/enbo9p5u/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:061922-17859-01.dmp (Jun 20 2022 - 02:41:36)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:061922-15437-01.dmp (Jun 20 2022 - 00:00:44)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
If you are using Rev 1.0 of your motherboard, there is a minor BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
If you are using Rev 1.0 of your motherboard, there is a minor BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I'm using above mentioned motherboard (Rev 1.0).

Just updated BIOS and still having the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running DDU in safe mode and after removing drivers and starting in normal mode again, run windows update and let it find drivers for card. They won't be as new as the ones from Nvidia but they might work better

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
try running DDU in safe mode and after removing drivers and starting in normal mode again, run windows update and let it find drivers for card. They won't be as new as the ones from Nvidia but they might work better
Tried that but still the same

Generally speaking, I've found that VIDEO_TDR BSODs are typically either

• Buggy GPU Driver
  • Faulty GPU
  • Underpowered/Faulty PSU
  • Unstable OC
If a buggy driver was causing 3060 Tis to BSOD, we'd be hearing about it. You can try a newer (or older, for testing) driver to see if the problem goes away, but I don't think that's it in this case. And as you aren't OC'd that leaves you with the PSU or a faulty GPU.

So my question is how long have you had this GPU, and has anything changed recently that could explain why you are getting BSODs now?

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
Generally speaking, I've found that VIDEO_TDR BSODs are typically either

• Buggy GPU Driver
  • Faulty GPU
  • Underpowered/Faulty PSU
  • Unstable OC
If a buggy driver was causing 3060 Tis to BSOD, we'd be hearing about it. You can try a newer (or older, for testing) driver to see if the problem goes away, but I don't think that's it in this case. And as you aren't OC'd that leaves you with the PSU or a faulty GPU.

So my question is how long have you had this GPU, and has anything changed recently that could explain why you are getting BSODs now?

Tried with latest and older gpu drivers and also reinstalled windows 10 but the issue is still there.

I have been using this gpu for like 6 months and the PSU for nearly 4 years. And no, I haven't done anything to the PC lately, got this error out of the blue while playing RDR2.
(btw there some construction works ongoing in our house lately so the air inside the house is bit dusty, however I cleaned the pc after this issue )