ViewSonic Joins 4K Desktop Monitor Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
not an audiophile by any means, but I don't get why companies insist on bothering with 2W speakers on these type of monitors? If you're spending anywhere north of $600 on the monitor, you can get yourself a decent 2.1 sound system

dstarr3

Distinguished
not an audiophile by any means, but I don't get why companies insist on bothering with 2W speakers on these type of monitors? If you're spending anywhere north of $600 on the monitor, you can get yourself a decent 2.1 sound system

Eh, sometimes people just don't care. Especially if it's just a work monitor. Same thing with laptop speakers. If you can afford a laptop, you can afford speakers for it. But, they're built in, and they're shitty, but they work. They suffice for what 99% of consumers need.

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

it might be just because of this; I see two options:

1: you don't care about sound but you want to be able to hear "something" when you watch the occasional youtube video - the integrated speakers reduce the clutter a bit

2: you care about sound and unless you have very expensive speakers integrated, you'll buy your own anyway (hence no need to waste money for mid-tier speakers)

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I also would prefer no speakers. Anything to help minimize the bezel is a plus for me. Having VESA mount is also mandatory and many of the newer thinner monitors are skipping it.

dstarr3

Distinguished
If only there was a single graphic card that can handle 4k. R9 290x nope, 780Ti or BK nope. We need next generation cards now. R10 390X? or 880Ti?

These cards can handle just fine, if you turn AA off. Luckily such a high pixel density renders AA pretty redundant. Especially once we get more 4K 24" monitors.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
You can do 30hz 4k on a number of cards (I can from a number of my current systems... including 2 laptops). 60hz is a bit trickier... you can do that from a 290x using multiple hdmi connections, I use a Titan and single displayport cable (mst). Until the new HDMI standard hits the mainstream displayport and a high end card that supports mst will be the only simple (one cable) way to do 4k/60hz.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Yeah cost. I think TN panels get a bit of a bad rep for no good reason though, there is nothing wrong with them. Sure IPS looks more vibrant but TNs actually make better gaming panels because of the typical lower response rate. The colour difference is only really striking when you A/B them, the ghosting will piss you off 24/7. Think IPS has caught up in that department though.

dstarr3

Distinguished
IPS is caught up to (and in some regards better than) TN panels as far as input lag and ghosting. But, if you're not concerned about viewing angles and you're not doing anything that requires color accuracy (photo/video work), then just save the cash and get a TN.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
ya..crummy speakers built into a serious monitor is a deterrent for me. Seems like the cost, weight and design could be more minimal without them.

Regardless, I'm hooked on a 40" screen for an all around home monitor and these TV's will always have speakers. Waiting for affordable 4k hdmi 2.0 VA 40" panels..!!

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah AA isn't needed even at 28". I have the Asus PB287Q and i use Xfire R9 290s. I easily hit 60fps.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If only there was a single graphic card that can handle 4k. R9 290x nope, 780Ti or BK nope. We need next generation cards now. R10 390X? or 880Ti?

These cards can handle just fine, if you turn AA off. Luckily such a high pixel density renders AA pretty redundant. Especially once we get more 4K 24" monitors.

I'd love to go with a 4K setup, I would buy one today but even the most powerful cards won't handle a triple monitor 4K setup at the moment; hopefully next generation one's will, but until then I'll have to stick with my three 40" television eyefinity setup

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

WOW you have alot of space. lol

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah cost. I think TN panels get a bit of a bad rep for no good reason though, there is nothing wrong with them. Sure IPS looks more vibrant but TNs actually make better gaming panels because of the typical lower response rate. The colour difference is only really striking when you A/B them, the ghosting will piss you off 24/7. Think IPS has caught up in that department though.

no, color on mine if i just lean back a little bit darkens to the point i need to increase gama to brightness to a stupid degree just to see, i don't need a ab comparison to see how crappy it is.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

None of them at the moment for gaming. Even the highest spec laptops can only run 4k desktop, but gaming is probably still limited to 720p-1080p depending on the game. This is an article i found after a quick browse. Not sure if it has Displayport though. http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/asus-gx500-gaming-laptop-hands-on/

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002

My almost 2 year old HP 8770w does... as well as a newer hp workstation class laptop I played with (can't recall the model number). It works well for general use as well as photo editing and light premiere pro work... but as mentioned above you'd not want to game on it.

Nefos

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Real question: Do they have a sound output?

For example if you connect your xbox on them, and use HDMI ( so picture+sound) you might want to use the monitor speakers or use a jack/digital output to use it with your other equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.