Virtual Game Item Sold for a Cool $635,000 USD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
This confuses me... the article says that people are making profits off of these things. How does that work? Are they selling stuff with this purchased property? How are they making a profit? Why does everybody not just make their own? I am so confused!

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I'd like to say get a life, but obviously this is THEIR life, kinda sad actaully -- maybe these folks need some mental assistance?

I'm sure you, a person who has to show how superior you are to other people in a comment section for an internet article, have a very rich and fulfilling life.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Dang thats one big investment, I wonder if a single person bought this or if it was some kind of business investment? I wasnt expecting a virtual resort either, was thinking something like "The Sword of a Thousand Truths" Lol. I wonder what that would sell for? :)

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Why do people find this surprising. The world wide financial meltdown was caused by Wall Street financial companies selling BS investments that were essentially "virtual". At least these guys are honest in that you know from the start that what is being sold does not represent anything in the real world.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
LOL supply and demand in the stoned/real universe.

Next article will be morons pays $100m for fancy horse s*it labeled as food.

Well last night on the news someone found a 18th century pot from China in their attic and it auction for what $65m.

Obsession addicts will pay anything for any junk just look at Apple products.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Do not get it, "micro"-transactions should be mega instead - at least it sounds like the investment will pay off.. Imagine selling that idea to your bank, "Yes, I would like to borrow 100 $K for this online game I play"..

the hedgehog

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
This sounds like our Economy...

We payed for things with money that doesn't exist...

sept this time it's 'real' money for things that don't exist...

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]Seriously, who throws this kind of money at a game? Paying for access rights? Is this a joke? Makes my EvE Online habit look cheap.[/citation]
At first I thought the same thing, but: they "throw" that kind of money because it's an investment like any other. In one year they get their money back and start to make a huge profit.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]I don't think $100k+ USD qualifies for "microtransactions" anymore[/citation]
It does, but only if you are the Obama administration, plunging the nation into $Trillion dollar debt.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]Seriously, who throws this kind of money at a game? Paying for access rights? Is this a joke? Makes my EvE Online habit look cheap.[/citation]

Wow you hit the nail on the head with the EVE comparison, but in addition to that "That's right--the gamer's overall fortune was deemed to be worth a million dollars." Well, I deem as it to be worth as much as the mud under my boot.

DragonMartix

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Your creativity amazes me. This blog post on 'Virtual Game Item Sold for a Cool $635,000 USD' is very well written and has quality content. I would be very happy if you could spend some time to visit my blog and let me know your thoughts, thanks, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.