Virtual Game Item Sold for a Cool $635,000 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Seriously, who throws this kind of money at a game? Paying for access rights? Is this a joke? Makes my EvE Online habit look cheap.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Neverdie... His story was among those included in a show that aired on the Discovery Channel roughly three years ago. It was a damn shame what happened to his wife. I'm glad his investment paid off, though I must admit I'm shocked just how well it has.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]I don't think $100k+ USD qualifies for "microtransactions" anymore[/citation]

Dude, no kidding.

[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Wtf you never see me throwing real cash a video game that's what gambling, strip clubs, and real life are for[/citation]

Once you're into the realm of $50k+ investments, I think you ARE talking about "gambling" and "real life" - these people are just choosing to take their financial risks somewhere other than the established financial markets.

firedust

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]Seriously, who throws this kind of money at a game? Paying for access rights? Is this a joke? Makes my EvE Online habit look cheap.[/citation]

People who turn around and make a profit. Spending 100,000 seems excessive, until you hear how the guy who bought it, turned around and sold the whole thing for 6x its original value.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
WoW seems "hobo" by comparison. Never heard of this game either. However, a real "resort" would probably cost a heck of a lot more than this. $635K buys half a closet in NYC.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I have some prime virtual land in Florida that I need to unload quickly, at very low prices! Unicorn hunting rights, rainbow mining and earth spirit conjuring opportunities are excellent. Please contact me directly!

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]WoW seems "hobo" by comparison. Never heard of this game either. However, a real "resort" would probably cost a heck of a lot more than this. $635K buys half a closet in NYC.[/citation]

Yeah but think of all the 'fancy' dates that come of scratch will buy you.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Virtual idiots -- so what happens if a server crashes and there are no working/verified backups?

I'd like to say get a life, but obviously this is THEIR life, kinda sad actaully -- maybe these folks need some mental assistance?

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]I don't think $100k+ USD qualifies for "microtransactions" anymore[/citation]

That's the thing, in some of those games they're reaping in a bunch from just the players using the land. Micro transactions add up...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Due to recent developments I have decided to sell part of my comment box.
This space here... --> <-- The bidding starts at 100,000.00 USD.
Just think of the opportunity this virtual comment box space has!
You will be the envy of all your friends and peers.

It's a sca... I mean steal! Bid now!

redwolfexr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I played it long ago. The main concept is that all of the in-game money is worth real money at a fixed ratio. So you can bankroll as much as you want. The company that runs the game basically sells ammo and repair of in-game items to cover overhead.

If your "drops" are worth more than the ammo to someone else then you "profit". Not really that different than the Asian CS games -- except the developer just handles the framework instead of actual sales.

You still have to skill your character up no matter how much $$ you equip with. Gear way over skill wears down faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.