Question Virtual Machine

Jun 14, 2022
Greetings. I recently setup a raspberry pi 4 b and used a 1TB SSD to install windows 11 which currently works fine. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to install a virtual machine on the windows 11 that resides on the SSD. I'm new at this so I was just trying to see if it was possible. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
Greetings. I recently setup a raspberry pi 4 b and used a 1TB SSD to install windows 11 which currently works fine. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to install a virtual machine on the windows 11 that resides on the SSD. I'm new at this so I was just trying to see if it was possible. Thank you.
Not sure what you're asking.

You have Winn 11 running on a Pi?
And you want what to run on a VM?

But...VM software is free.
What happened when you tried this?

Jun 14, 2022
Not sure what you're asking.

You have Winn 11 running on a Pi?
And you want what to run on a VM?

But...VM software is free.
What happened when you tried this?

I have a Pi device that I setup with Raspberry pi 4 b --> its 4 gb. I went through the process of getting a separate USB external SSD setup with files to load Windows 11 on this external drive utilizing the Pi device by booting to the USB which allowed me to go through the normal windows setup process on the external drive successfully. I'm able to boot to the Windows 11 on the UBS drive no problem. I went to setup Oracle VM and received message that the app cannot run due to security or performance issues and a newer version may be available and to check with the software provider. I went for Oracle VM because that's what I'm used to. So I tried to enable Hyper-V under the Windows features, but when I rebooted, it didn't start up. I had to perform a recovery to get back to the desktop.
I'm new to all this and I've started to research, but figured I would reach out to see if anyone else has tried this.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Pi device that I setup with Raspberry pi 4 b --> its 4 gb. I went through the process of getting a separate USB external SSD setup with files to load Windows 11 on this external drive utilizing the Pi device by booting to the USB which allowed me to go through the normal windows setup process on the external drive successfully. I'm able to boot to the Windows 11 on the UBS drive no problem. I went to setup Oracle VM and received message that the app cannot run due to security or performance issues and a newer version may be available and to check with the software provider. I went for Oracle VM because that's what I'm used to. So I tried to enable Hyper-V under the Windows features, but when I rebooted, it didn't start up. I had to perform a recovery to get back to the desktop.
I'm new to all this and I've started to research, but figured I would reach out to see if anyone else has tried this.
Thank you very much for your assistance.
4GB is not enough RAM.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that RPi does not have virtualization hardware. I say this because this hardware is usually configured in BIOS and to my knowledge, the RPi doesn't have a way to configure its BIOS (or whatever its called in RPi speak)

So, what you're trying to do probably can't be done.

Now that said, I am running ubuntu and a VM under it on an x86 machine (that has virtualization hardware) with only 3GB RAM. In the VM I am running Home Assistant. Running directly under Ubuntu is a mosquitto broker. Perfect use for an old PC.

Basically, what you're doing is pretty cool, but of no real use other that learning how to jump through a whole lot of loops.

Keep us abreast of your progress.

OSD

KyaraM

Admirable
As others noted, the RPI lacks virtualisation features necessary to run VMs under Windows, plus VMware is x86, so not compatible with ARM. Heck, unless it's a custum version, Windows itself doesn't run on the RPI, it's not supposed to. However, it should be possible to run Docker under a Linux Distro.

This thread might also help:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=268387