Virtual Memory ?

Solution
The title of the thread is misleading, virtual memory is associated with hdd space to be used as ram when ram is filled. Now for the real topic:

Windows will allocate around 25% of your total ram to be shared with the gpu and system. And it cannot be changed. This allocated amount is dynamic meaning it can be used by just the system or just the gpu or any amount in between. Now your gpu has 1gb vram so there should be no reason it will ever use this shared amount unless your res is larger than 1080p.

Just a side note: ram used as vram will be slower as the dedicated vram. Should be pretty obvious why.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You mean disabling paging file and if you ever need to use it, just do it manually on the fly?

If that's what you meant, I don't think so. If there is, I've never heard of it. You can always re-enable the paging file though the same way you would disable it.

Go to:
Control panel
Select Sytem and Security
Select System
On left side select advanced system settings.
On popup window. select advance tab at top then under performance select Setteings.
Under performance options, select advanced tab at top
Select change under vitual memory.
Select custom size and enter 512 for both initial size and max size. then click set.

If No problems noted, leave as is. I do not like to set to zero as some (few) programs will baulk if no virtual memory. If you ever get an "Out of memory" error go in and increase to 1024. Note, I have an 8 Gig system and a 16 gig system and I use 512 mb for size on both.

Verify that paging file (Virtual memory) is on on one drive, if on multiple drive just select drive and select none.

PS. Although I don't recommend, you can set to zero (ie select None). Windows will isue a warning, just disregaurd

I'm sorry guys I must not have been clear enough or throwing in the Paging File might of confused you.I meant how Windows use's some of the RAM as VRAM for the GPU.
Is their anyway that I can manually adjust how much RAM I can set to use with the GPU?(Like how you would do with a Paging File)

Is this a desktop or a laptop, and I'm guessing your refering to use with an igp.

With laptops and their BRIGHT idea to lock and limit what you can change it will normall be found in the Bios, if available.

Testing the HD3000
"so for these tests with allocated a 1GB UMA frame buffer size, and also tried three difference memory frequency/timing settings."

Did a google on UMA frame buffer. found this: http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx?lang=0&bogno=245

In refernece to a dedicated GPU found this:
The UMA frame buffer is, basically, the amount of RAM which is allocated to the graphics card. Your graphics card has around 1GB of dedicated memory, which is more than enough. You will not see a performance increase by having a large UMA frame buffer, and, because RAM is much slower than dedicated memory, it may even cause a drop in performance. In this case, you should leave the UMA frame buffer as it is (and, depending on the size, consider reducing it).

Bottom line, I think it is bios controlled.

Added: In Bios Under Advance - Northbridge found IGP DVMT Memory my options were 256 MB and maxium (What ever max is LOL)

I have a 1G 6870.The main reason I wanted to add more is because it's not even in use by the system so I figured more RAM might help with textures(so I heard).

I believe the BIOS options are for onboard GPU's.So it looks like you can't change it.Thanks for your help though.

The title of the thread is misleading, virtual memory is associated with hdd space to be used as ram when ram is filled. Now for the real topic:

Windows will allocate around 25% of your total ram to be shared with the gpu and system. And it cannot be changed. This allocated amount is dynamic meaning it can be used by just the system or just the gpu or any amount in between. Now your gpu has 1gb vram so there should be no reason it will ever use this shared amount unless your res is larger than 1080p.

Just a side note: ram used as vram will be slower as the dedicated vram. Should be pretty obvious why.

Solution

dante666

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

Bro One question,How much of VRAM you had before you upgraded your RAM?