Question Virtual PC Setup

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I run a very small company. I have six employees who connect to my computer (running Windows 10) using a remote software like AnyDesk/TeamViewer. I have created 6 virtual PCs using VirtualBox. I turn them on and they connect to each. Then they use inbuilt programs for work.

They only need to use 1-2 applications not anything heavy duty. This setup is working fine but the problem is sometimes due to power failure or internet failure at my end the work stops completely.

I wanted to have a similar setup on the cloud so that they won't be effected by my local issues. How can I achieve something similar that is cost effective and can do the job.

Currently I allocate 3 GB RAM to each user and 2 CPU cores.

Thank you,

Regards,
Jack

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
You can play around with the Azure pricing calculator to get an idea.

The cheapest I came out with was approx. US$250 per month (total for all 6 VMs for pay-as-you-go). You can see my mock calculation through this link: https://azure.com/e/aa308e6e46d0497ebdfc7b9ad39d49cf

I didn't delve through the whole thing so consider that as a starting-off point. Just play around with the options to make it fit your requirements.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
You can play around with the Azure pricing calculator to get an idea.

The cheapest I came out with was approx. US$250 per month (total for all 6 VMs for pay-as-you-go). You can see my mock calculation through this link: https://azure.com/e/aa308e6e46d0497ebdfc7b9ad39d49cf

I didn't delve through the whole thing so consider that as a starting-off point. Just play around with the options to make it fit your requirements.

Thank you for your reply. I only need 55 hours per week so my cost comes to $77 per month.

One idea was to go for 1 server with 16/32 GB RAM and create sub/user accounts to each person. This way I don't need to setup 6 different servers. What do you say?

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
To create a new virtual machine, you need to start VirtualBox. On the host where ... You can change the settings later after you have created the virtual machine.<SPAM deleted>

I think it will slow things down. On a server (which is like a VM) creating a virtual machine. Can't I create 6 standard user accounts for each person.

If I create a VM on server then I may have to go for 25 GB x 6 of storage space as each Windows on a pc will take at least 20 GB.

Last edited by a moderator: