Virtuix Proved That The Omni Vr Treadmill Is the Real Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
not sure if I missed it in the article or video but how solid is the frame? I remember seeing a video a few months back and it looked like the frame shook around a bit and twisted. has the problem been solved and its now a lot sturdier? or is this not actually a problem?

In my head I saw this as a cool thing for arcades like Dave and busters or resorts and places. but in those cases I was picturing almost a solid steel/aluminum frame that would be able to take the abuse (thinking DDR style construction).

Personally, I don't think ill be buying one of these just yet, however I'm gonna keep my eye on this because it does look awesome! I think this mixed with the fove eye tracking headset, and the positional tracking of the gun mentioned could be one of the most exciting VR set ups ive heard of yet

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
not sure if I missed it in the article or video but how solid is the frame? I remember seeing a video a few months back and it looked like the frame shook around a bit and twisted. has the problem been solved and its now a lot sturdier? or is this not actually a problem?

In my head I saw this as a cool thing for arcades like Dave and busters or resorts and places. but in those cases I was picturing almost a solid steel/aluminum frame that would be able to take the abuse (thinking DDR style construction).

Personally, I don't think ill be buying one of these just yet, however I'm gonna keep my eye on this because it does look awesome! I think this mixed with the fove eye tracking headset, and the positional tracking of the gun mentioned could be one of the most exciting VR set ups ive heard of yet

I didn't really touch on it in the article. That sort of thing will be talked about at length whenever we end up doing a full review of the hardware. It's not really fair to critiquie the strength of it after a 5 minute demo.

I will say that it does feel very sturdy and this was on day 2, at the end of the day. There were likely several dozen people through the rig before me and it still felt very sturdy.

Again, I have spend a lot more time with it to really give a full opinion, but my first impression was nothing but positive. I'm sure there will be little things that we nitpick over, but I'm very impressed so far.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
feels like you guys are over selling this.. Stopping your motion looks very cumbersome. like sliding on ice and almost busting your ass.

I saw a version of this tech where the surface actually moved

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
feels like you guys are over selling this.. Stopping your motion looks very cumbersome. like sliding on ice and almost busting your ass.

I saw a version of this tech where the surface actually moved

It may seem like we're over selling it, but I was genuinely impressed with the Omni.
I didn't get a chance to try the infinideck, it was at CES but I didn't find it. That one is much larger though, and far less likely to fit in your home.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Sounds like The Void.
If that's the case, I would recomend it. I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard great things from a few people that have.

Status
Not open for further replies.