Vista vs Windows 7

ateam4247

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I am being asked to migrate from XP to vista, however we have a new boss and he wants to wait until window 7 is avaiable. is there any whitepapers that shows it is better to wait to windows 7

I don't know about whitepapers, but the general consensus around here seems to be that Win7 is a worthy upgrade (especially from XP) and if you can wait for a couple of months it's probably worth it to install Windows 7 directly rather than install Vista now and upgrade later.

On the other hand, there is no "upgrade" from XP to Windows 7 - you have to install from scratch. So if you want to avoid the need for a complete reinstall, you may be better off upgrading to Vista now and then upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 later.

Mind you, I don't think I'd want to have a doubly-upgraded system, but it's really up to you...

daship

Distinguished
Im running technet full release also. Your boss should just buy a subscription and get 7 now. Technet was the best $280 I ever spent on software. I had a promo code :) I now got accepted to a free subscription as well so I got two, what to do with all these keys????????????????????????

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have several PCs and laptops in the house and office. I have them running everything from Linux distros to XP to Vistax64 and Win 7x64 RTM. Without a doubt I prefer Windows 7 when it is appropriate for the hardware. There will be some that have 'tried it' (I question whether they have actually tried the RTM for more than a few days however) but prefer older systems.

As you have not yet made the transition to Vista you will find that there is a learning curve to the new GUI. I urge you to not give into the temptation to try to make it more 'XP-like' when you first install Windows 7 (or Vista for that matter if you choose that direction). Give the new GUI a week or so and then make changes as you feel you need. The changes that have been made are not arbitrary and can actually enhance productivity a great deal in my experience.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Your boss is smart to wait for Windows 7, after all it's less then 2 months to wait.
That way you get to learn one new OS and not waste time on learning Vista for a couple of months first.
It also has the advantage that it can use XP mode for any business programs that he has, that are not compatible with Vista.

Windows 7 BETA was available from MS for FREE since early 2009. It was there free to all for their personal evaluation. Vista was released in January 2007, the BETAs more than three years ago. You are posting on a Windows 7 forum asking people who have used these systems since their release if there is 'whitepaper' available that 'shows' it's better to wait to Windows 7 now days before it's retail release?

Personally, I find your're question funny and want to help. Let me clear up your XP screen.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Win 7 is better than Vista. Most people say that Win 7 is what Vista should have been. With Win 7 coming out in less than two months, this would be a really bad time to go from XP to Vista. Wait until October 22 and then start upgrading to Win 7. Decide what software you have that needs to run on XP and reserve a few machines for that. Or get Win 7 pro and run virtual XP.

I tried Win7 and didnt like it. Went back to Vista64, love it.

Haha people arnt going to like what we say but eh - trolls will be trolls.

Vista and Windows 7 are essentially the same - when you have a rig with 4+gb and a newer dual core or better the differences are zero (but windows 7 is better on low end systems), only the different theme and tweaks etc - i cant see value in buying an OS thats the same as what im running (Vista 64).

What i do notice is that creative sound cards are WORSE on windows 7 and the same "bugs" (nothing serious) show up in windows 7 from vista which the OS is based.

To me, Windows 7 = "VISTA SISTER" - thats the only way i can explain it

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
There are a couple of reasons why your Creative sound card doesn't sound as good with Windows 7. First - its a Creative product. Their driver support has been horrible recently - I think they are still floundering about DirectSound support being taken out of Vista but that is my opinion. Second, the sound system within Windows 7 has had some significant improvements over Vista. Since the RTM has been out less than a month - let's give companies time to get those drivers working by October 22 shall we?

Bottom line - if you want a time-tested stable OS with stable drivers on modern hardware - Vista is probably the best solution for the next month. If you are willing to put up with driver updates for the next month or so then Windows 7 is an excellent choice if it is available to you.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I doubt that a corp. is going to want to risk its productivity on an untested, pre-launch OS...

Latest posts