Vizio Settles With FTC For $2.2 Million Over TV Snooping Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the part of the settlement that caught my attention:

"The stipulated federal court order requires VIZIO to prominently disclose and obtain affirmative express consent for its data collection and sharing practices, and prohibits misrepresentations about the privacy, security, or confidentiality of consumer information they collect."

So it isn't just disclosure, they're actually forced to make the snooping opt-in rather than opt-out. That's a big shift in policy. Let's hope other companies start being held to it as well.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
That method of matching content to a sample of the image is interesting. It would match and sample an episode of Family Guy being played from a computer.
That method really does cover most media devices.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
@LEERAINS the problem is that this isn't unique to Vizio as i remember LG doing something similar recently... i guess in the end, we just have to be more aware that new technology is more likely to be snooping on us as well as doing wotever it was intended to do...

So they got a fine of $0.22 per TV this was installed on. I'd say they got a slap on the wrist. But that would be an overstatement. A flick on the wrist is apt.

I wonder how much they made off the data from content providers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS