[SOLVED] VLC media player won't play or stream videos ?

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
I'm not sure why, but VLC has begun baulking at playing downloaded video files. It also will not stream videos. I had been trying to learn how to download YouTube videos but have had no success since the first procedure is to play the target video. I've re-installed VLC and set all the proper file extensions to use VLC. Files already on hand play without hesitation (avi, mp4, mkv). I probably changed a setting by mistake. I've watched some YouTube videos on repairing VLC when it won't play files correctly, but none of the fixes worked for me. Hopefully one of you good folks can diagnose my problems and walk me through getting things working properly again.

OS = Windows 10

Solution
Hi, Grobe. I just tried your method 1. I did not find the .ini file, but I did find the LUA folder and renamed it "old." After a restart, VLC ran correctly - no more problems. I also tried your method 2 installing VLC portable and it, too, correctly fixed the playback problem! My sincere thanks...I wouldn't have ever found those fixes on my own.
If you suspect the problem lies in a bad settings, this can usually be solved in two ways:

1. You can remove the settings file for VLC. I'ts probably stored in an ini file somewhere in Windows (have a google search for this) - delete this file (or rename so you have old backup), then start the program and it should create a new ini files with only default values.

2. You can go grab a portable version of VLC at portableapps.com (here is the direct link to VLC). This have no installer, it just unpacks the files, then you use windows explorer to navigate to wherever you put the files and run the executable file - it should be named something in the ballpark of VLCportable.exe.
INFO - A portable version of a program store all settings in a folder under where you extracted the program, so it act like a ghost for the installed version of VLC, it neither can't alter the installed program settings nor the other way around - well as least as you don't try to run those simultaneously.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Hi, Grobe. I just tried your method 1. I did not find the .ini file, but I did find the LUA folder and renamed it "old." After a restart, VLC ran correctly - no more problems. I also tried your method 2 installing VLC portable and it, too, correctly fixed the playback problem! My sincere thanks...I wouldn't have ever found those fixes on my own.

Solution