[SOLVED] Volume control with optical audio

Dec 19, 2021
I have an avr (cambridge azur 340R) with stereo speakers and I'm running a 10 meter long HDMI cable to it across my room. (I like to play PC games on my TV). However I blown my tweeters because windows amplified the volume of the signal through HDMI and so did the AVR together they blown the tweeters, yesterday my replacement tweeters and a 10 meter long optical cable arrived and I installed them. Speakers work as they should but in windows I can change volume of the optical signal witch I could't before. (new cable because last one could not carry the light signal far enough, that's why I used HDMI for audio) Everything works fine yet I feel as if the volume control in windows can cause some problems especially because I blew the tweeters once before. When I ran the previous optical cable except for it not carrying enough data it worked fine and I had no volume control on windows 10, the only difference is that I reset my windows installation in the meantime.

I suspect is has something to do with drivers in windows or something with my motherboard (Asus rog strix B450-F gaming), I have no idea if Asus have some magical crap software to fix it or something

Solution
I have an avr (cambridge azur 340R) with stereo speakers and I'm running a 10 meter long HDMI cable to it across my room. (I like to play PC games on my TV). However I blown my tweeters because windows amplified the volume of the signal through HDMI and so did the AVR together they blown the tweeters, yesterday my replacement tweeters and a 10 meter long optical cable arrived and I installed them. Speakers work as they should but in windows I can change volume of the optical signal witch I could't before. (new cable because last one could not carry the light signal far enough, that's why I used HDMI for audio) Everything works fine yet I feel as if the volume control in windows can cause some problems especially because I blew the...
Dec 19, 2021
So - before (with hdmi cable) you coudn't control audio volume.
Now - (with optical cable) you can control audio volume.

Why is that an issue? Isn't that an improvement?
Firstly I could not control the audio with optical cable , then with HDMI I could now again with optical I can.
There should be no audio control on windows as far as I know. Only the avr should be able to control volume. And in my setup my tweeters are barely to spec with full volume. That is why I want my computer to send "only " audio

Ralston18

Titan
Power off and/or disconnect the Tweeters.

Then right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right hand corner of the Windows desktop screen.

The right click should open a five item menu with each item, in turn, leading to multiple audio related windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore all of the options but do not make any immediate changes. Just keep some notes regarding what you find, where you found, and any specific setting(s) that are presented or set.

Key is to get a "big picture" view of the host systems audio with respect to physical connections, selected options, configuration settings, etc..

For example Open Sound Settings and Open Volume mixer are both likely to provide some additional level of control.

You can, for example disable speakers and headphones via Windows' audio controls.

Open Sound settings > Sound > Device properties [Disable] may be what is needed.

= = = =

That all said there could be other reasons why the tweeters are blowing.

FYI:

https://playbutton.co/why-do-tweeters-keep-blowing/

I will leave the details of such discussions to the true audiophiles. Out of my (full disclosure) comfort zone.

Dec 19, 2021
Power off and/or disconnect the Tweeters.

Then right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right hand corner of the Windows desktop screen.

The right click should open a five item menu with each item, in turn, leading to multiple audio related windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore all of the options but do not make any immediate changes. Just keep some notes regarding what you find, where you found, and any specific setting(s) that are presented or set.

Key is to get a "big picture" view of the host systems audio with respect to physical connections, selected options, configuration settings, etc..

For example Open Sound Settings and Open Volume mixer are both likely to provide some additional level of control.

You can, for example disable speakers and headphones via Windows' audio controls.

Open Sound settings > Sound > Device properties [Disable] may be what is needed.

= = = =

That all said there could be other reasons why the tweeters are blowing.

FYI:

https://playbutton.co/why-do-tweeters-keep-blowing/

I will leave the details of such discussions to the true audiophiles. Out of my (full disclosure) comfort zone.

I know why my tweeters have blown and I even know how to prevent it.
Thats why I don't want windows to control volume of the signal sent to my AVR.

Thanks for the information, maybe someone will find it useful

You may be able to control the sound level for each individual application you use including your games. Open up Settings, System, Sound, and then the Advanced Sound Options App, Volume and Device Preferences option that appears last on the screen. Note that the option to set the sound level for each individual program only appears while a program is running so you'll have to start your games or other programs to adjust their individual level. However once you've set the level, the setting is retained so it will be the same the next time you use the game or program.

Ralston18

Titan
Just keep in mind that even if Window's ability to control volume is not wanted and taken away that may not be enough to prevent future problems.

There is no assurance that Windows will not reinstate or otherwise restore volume control again via an update, patch, configuration change, etc..

Could be an adverse result of just a buggy or corrupt file.

Or some other audio software could meddle about with the same end effects and loss of volume control.

So for prevention purposes set up a volume control that you control. Not Windows.

Dec 19, 2021
Just keep in mind that even if Window's ability to control volume is not wanted and taken away that may not be enough to prevent future problems.

There is no assurance that Windows will not reinstate or otherwise restore volume control again via an update, patch, configuration change, etc..

Could be an adverse result of just a buggy or corrupt file.

Or some other audio software could meddle about with the same end effects and loss of volume control.

So for prevention purposes set up a volume control that you control. Not Windows.
With my past experience of windows blowing my tweeters that might just be my best option for now, I'll try fiddling with it more and maybe find something.
Anyways thanks for the advice mate.

I have an avr (cambridge azur 340R) with stereo speakers and I'm running a 10 meter long HDMI cable to it across my room. (I like to play PC games on my TV). However I blown my tweeters because windows amplified the volume of the signal through HDMI and so did the AVR together they blown the tweeters, yesterday my replacement tweeters and a 10 meter long optical cable arrived and I installed them. Speakers work as they should but in windows I can change volume of the optical signal witch I could't before. (new cable because last one could not carry the light signal far enough, that's why I used HDMI for audio) Everything works fine yet I feel as if the volume control in windows can cause some problems especially because I blew the tweeters once before. When I ran the previous optical cable except for it not carrying enough data it worked fine and I had no volume control on windows 10, the only difference is that I reset my windows installation in the meantime.

I suspect is has something to do with drivers in windows or something with my motherboard (Asus rog strix B450-F gaming), I have no idea if Asus have some magical crap software to fix it or something

Use a line out option on the audio output if you don't want Windows to control the audio. Line Out sends a basic signal to be used by an amplifier. Most motherboards would have an option for that, although not with HDMI. Also control the volume on the amp side with the volume in Windows turned up a bit, then you won't have any super loud spikes by accident. Turn up the Windows volume, turn down the amp volume to get the loudness you like. It's a general rule of thumb, keep the Windows volume up, and use the amp from there. You can do some web searching if you are curious about it View: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6r9s1w/windows_volume_higher_or_amp_volume_higher/

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There have been so many changes over the years that it would be nearly impossible for someone other than a very informed audiophile digging through manuals to see what is what...

I would suggest that if you have even a mildly recent receiver that there should be controls within it to set a max and starting volume by source. In many you can also tell it whether to allow "ARC" from that specific source.

For instance, I have an older Denon unit, nothing special. I can set it to be at "X" volume level on start/source selection. I have "ARC" turned off for the PC. It comes on at a specific volume level and then I cannot exceed that level. I can still turn up and down the volume via Windows, but it will never turn up the amp itself.
I also utilize other features specifc to the amp in relation to volume offset. My kids used to like to think they could just crank all the way to the right and all was good. I set volume offset where when it's turned up "all the way" it's really just a bit over the "12:00" position. This way, we don't trash another set of monitors. I lost a nice set of JBL L80T to that oversight.

TRENDING THREADS