Volume wont expand to unallocated space after clone

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I got a new WD black 4TB. I cloned 980gb worth of data to the new drive with EaseUS cloning tool. When it finished I was left with a 1TB partition, 1TB unallocated space, and 1.6TB unallocated space. I expanded the 1TB partition and the biggest I could go was 2TB leaving the 3rd partition of 1.6TB untouched.

For the life of me I cannot get windows or any partition software to use that unallocated space. Windows see's that 1.6TB of space as unallocated and if I wipe the drive of partitions I will have 2 partitions of unallocated space at 2TB and 1.6TB. The 1.6TB partition I cannot right click and create a volume. Macrium, EaseUS, Mini Tool partition, and AOMEI partiton all see the drive as 3.6TB unallocated. But when I try and partition with them to create a new volume, the highest they can create is 2TB. I have told one of them to write 0s to the entire drive but that hasnt fixed the issue.

Here's a screenshot of the partition software https://imgur.com/nRozzgD

EDIT: Sorry i used Macrium Reflect to clone the drive

Solution
The maximum partition size for a disk using a MBR partition table is 2 TB. The old drive was partitioned as MBR, and cloning carried that over.

You're either going to have to live with it, or figure out a way to convert the drive to GPT partitioning. Minitools Partition Wizard claims to be able to convert MBR disks to GPT while leaving data intact. You can give that a shot (assuming your data is still on the original drive as a backup). I haven't encountered this scenario yet so I can't say if or how well it works. Right-click the disk in Partition Wizard (right where it says "MBR") and you should see a Convert MBR to GPT option. If Partition Wizard doesn't work, other partitioning tools may have the same capability.

If that...
The maximum partition size for a disk using a MBR partition table is 2 TB. The old drive was partitioned as MBR, and cloning carried that over.

You're either going to have to live with it, or figure out a way to convert the drive to GPT partitioning. Minitools Partition Wizard claims to be able to convert MBR disks to GPT while leaving data intact. You can give that a shot (assuming your data is still on the original drive as a backup). I haven't encountered this scenario yet so I can't say if or how well it works. Right-click the disk in Partition Wizard (right where it says "MBR") and you should see a Convert MBR to GPT option. If Partition Wizard doesn't work, other partitioning tools may have the same capability.

If that doesn't work and this is a data drive, you can delete all the partitions, convert the disk to GPT, create a new 4TB partition, and copy (don't clone) the data from your old drive over. If this is a boot drive, that's going to be considerably more complicated. You're going to have to delete all partitions, convert the disk to GPT, then copy all the partitions in the original disk over one by one (copy partition, not clone disk). Then you're going to have remove your original boot drive, and use a Windows install DVD (Win 7) or USB (8/10) to try to repair the Windows installation on the new drive to make it bootable.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/fix-uefi-boot-in-windows-10-8-7.html

Solution

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Thanks. Luckily its not my boot drive. Just has all my games and junk programs. I was pretty sure I told something to format as GPT partition but I guess cloning it as MBR took priority. Didn't think MBR had a limit that low. Right now recloning the drive and told Macrium to use ALL of the 3.6TB and expand the volume instead of just cloning the 1TB to a 1TB partition. If this doesn't work I'll do it the "hard" way of formatting GPT and copying files over with windows.