Question VPN for Teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2021
Hi there,
I'm an English teacher who works for a school in China but I'm British and live in London. I teach my students online.

The problem is that there is a new Chinese policy coming in that will make it impossible for Chinese students to study with teachers who are based outside of China.

As you probably know, China has a history of blocking selected foreign websites, so I don't think blocking foreign teachers will be difficult for them.

I've used VPNs before while staying in China, but what I was wondering was if there is a kind of VPN that would allow students to connect with me in London but to appear that they were connecting with someone else in China?

I have seen some vpn providers claim in their advertising that their service include being able to to simulate a location anywhere. I don't know if that also include China, so I assume you just have to have a visit to several vpn providers and see if any of these meet your demand.

Any VPN that 'works now in CHina' is only a claim good now... until when/if it is also blocked...

No certainties....

Try one that is known to work, preferably via a 1 month trial.....

Certainly the larger ones would likely be known by 'the state', and quickly blocked if deemed unsuitable.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
have you spoken to your boss in china about this? i doubt they want to pay you to teach but will allow no one to actually connect to you.

they are bound to have some way to ensure you can do your job. i'd start there before advising your students to do something that is likely illegal there.

Chinese government is very unpredictable. Recently there's a ban on tutoring and government says all forms of tutoring should be "non-profit". I have heard as well they've used to ban foreign text books and teaching in English. Basically its cultural revolution all over again.

Another point to consider is you have to be wary which VPN you choose in China because not all VPNs can be trusted. They can be subjugated to surrender any info to the Chinese government at any point in time. Hongkong VPNs are 100% no longer in the clear as well due to the recent events and early takeover.

Worse comes to worse, your employer is going to get the blunt end of the stick from the Chinese government if they decide to do anything about it but I doubt it they would go after foreigners unless you're a high profile target. Using a VPN in China comes with it some risk. Now if only Hongkong wasn't taken over yet right now, I could suggest using Hongkong VPNs but that isn't the case anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grobe

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Nearly all the VPN providers claim that they work in China, but this is not the case. Only a few works great in China, as the polices are quite strict and very harsh. So, if the students are to use VPNs in China they should be very careful. It Express, Nord or Ivacy that I think works great in China.

Hi there,
I'm an English teacher who works for a school in China but I'm British and live in London. I teach my students online.

The problem is that there is a new Chinese policy coming in that will make it impossible for Chinese students to study with teachers who are based outside of China.

As you probably know, China has a history of blocking selected foreign websites, so I don't think blocking foreign teachers will be difficult for them.

I've used VPNs before while staying in China, but what I was wondering was if there is a kind of VPN that would allow students to connect with me in London but to appear that they were connecting with someone else in China?

Under China's very strict rules vpns have to log all traffic as to prevent subversion to the great people's republic. Because the great Republic knows what's good for everyone. (That's a bit tongue in cheek there...)

That said you can use a defederated piece of software. Unfortunately even defederated nodes can be stopped by dpi at "the great firewall" if china.

I would suggest you check with Rob Braxman on YouTube. He really is the expert on this stuff. He sounds really paranoid sometimes. But truth he does do indepth security reviews. He'll tell you where each standard fails at security.

https://youtube.com/c/BraxMe

I'm not suggesting you break the law. If you use an intermediary in China to act as a relay, it would not be surprising to find him in jail and on an organ donor list.

Status
Not open for further replies.