Question VR Game stutter and FPS drops

May 7, 2021
Hello,

I've had my quest 2 about 4 weeks now and to be honest spent probably 3 weeks of that time troubleshooting this.

I had constant issues with Half life Alyx and now Beat Saber is the same.

FPS drops from 90 to 80 and jumps back up or around that figure - 40% of the song plays fine, but here is not need for the FPS to drop, its hardly using my GPU or CPU.

The same happens on Link, VD and AIrlink

My specs
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia 2070 super
16gb RAM 3200mhz Dual channel
650w Corsair PSU

I have tried everything
  • Windows re-install
  • DDU - Old driver - New Driver
  • SS at 100% - SS at 60%
  • 72fps, 80fps, 90fps
  • High settings
  • Low settings
  • Disabling all antivirus and firewall
  • Malware bytes scans
  • Nvidia display panel settings
  • Disabling XMP
  • Unplugging all HDD's
  • Installing on SSD
  • Unplugging all USB's
  • VRMode Oculus
  • Airlink
  • Link
  • VD

I'm honestly getting to the point where Im going to give up. I should NOT have issues running these games, i regularly play Warzone, Wolfenstein, Resident Evil etc at 120FPS + on 1080p or 1440.

There MUST be someway i can record whats happening with my machine to save the log and look back on, it cant honestly be the only way to diagnose an issue of trying to play VR and looking at Task Manager.

Please can someone assist troubleshooting this, i am completely stuck.

Thanks,

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, it doesn't state the model of the unit. How old is the PSU? Include the BIOS version that you're on for your motherboard. Which two slots are the rams occupying on the motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of said motherboard? What OS version are you working with? By reinstall, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? As for your drivers, you should have them all on a USB drive, ready to be used as soon as the OS in finished installing, actually you should disconnect from the www, so the OS doesn't download drivers it thinks is right for your platform. manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

May 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, it doesn't state the model of the unit. How old is the PSU? Include the BIOS version that you're on for your motherboard. Which two slots are the rams occupying on the motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of said motherboard? What OS version are you working with? By reinstall, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? As for your drivers, you should have them all on a USB drive, ready to be used as soon as the OS in finished installing, actually you should disconnect from the www, so the OS doesn't download drivers it thinks is right for your platform. manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

thanks for your time.

I have a TX650m. It’s around 2 years old.

I have a B450 Gaming carbon pro MSI motherboard running the latest BIOS
7B85v1F4

RAM is Corsair RGB vengeance 3200mhz installed in slots 2 and 4

I installed Windows 10 20H2 2009 with a new USB stick made using rufus.
I installed all of my drivers as you described from the MSI website and Nvidia for my graphics card.

Windows OS is on a m2 SSD as are my Games but a separate one