VR & Graphics Cards

Aug 29, 2018
Odd question, or maybe not - I'm looking at getting into VR, and just purchased a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 video card, but have an older card with 4g ram as well. Thought I was going to be able to SLI them together, but can't. My question is, is there any benefit to using the old card ONLY for desktop and other gaming, and the new 8g card ONLY for VR? Will that give me much better performance for VR gaming if I do that? Or, wondering if I should return that new 1070 Ti card, and just get another GTX 960 (4g) and SLI it with my new one, and save some money? Do you feel the 1070 ti will be a lot better for VR graphics than two GTX 960s in SLI? thanks so much, all!

Solution
Just keep the 1070 ti and sell the 960, you shouldn't really have a use for it anymore. SLI is almost never worth it and certainly not in this case. The single 1070 ti will blow the 960s out of the water and have FAR fewer issues with game support. There shouldn't be much benefit if any at all to have one card doing desktop and one doing VR. Just stick to one card.
Just keep the 1070 ti and sell the 960, you shouldn't really have a use for it anymore. SLI is almost never worth it and certainly not in this case. The single 1070 ti will blow the 960s out of the water and have FAR fewer issues with game support. There shouldn't be much benefit if any at all to have one card doing desktop and one doing VR. Just stick to one card.

Solution