Discussion VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2022
If a Graphics card company markets its card with 12 gb of vram for a better gaming Exp , and you only use 4 to 5 gb vram max in intensive vr gaming session , Then they state, OHO you bus width isn't big enough to utilize all of it at one time .... Isn't that Criminal like and mis leading ..???

Ralston18

Titan
I treat all advertisements as if they were false.

Especially those advertisements with lots of small print, weird fonts, and otherwise unreadable caveats. And vanish fast when displayed.

Likewise for fast talking, use of celebrities, or other potentially misleading images. Like not showing cords, making problems appear worse or more complicated than they really are, etc., etc.. Using the FUD factor (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Statistics or statistical claims are another caution point.

"Compatible with", "fits all", "universal", "lifetime", etc., all being immediate warning flag words to me.

Something may indeed work but for how long and how well - that is a different matter.

Lack of details regarding basic information. Creation of new terms and acronyms. Maybe just basic specs or no specs at all.

Generally learn more about the product realities via User Guides/Manuals and some reviews. Sometimes Forums and FAQs help.

Pay attention to what is not said versus what is being said. Be very skeptical and cynical. Apply common sense.

However, unfortunately, the truth may still not be known until you make a purchase and have the product in hand.

Prerequisite: Check into the return/RMA policies. Which can be equally vague and misleading....

= = = =

Maybe move this thread to Experiences and Opinions..... ?

Reactions: KyaraM
Yeah, idk its debatable is some cases, I find that even card that aren't fast enough to really fill up the buffer will benefit them later on down the road, like a the old 9800gt, the 512gb model was plenty for like everything, the 1gb model even though it was pointless, later on still did better in frame times and frame consistency than the 512mb model.

But yeah, its like the gt 1030 4gb, umm ok, whats the point in that? lol Marketing.

If a Graphics card company markets its card with 12 gb of vram for a better gaming Exp , and you only use 4 to 5 gb vram max in intensive vr gaming session , Then they state, OHO you bus width isn't big enough to utilize all of it at one time .... Isn't that Criminal like and mis leading ..???
Where did you see this?

The only time I heard something remotely official that more VRAM was better was AMD poking fun at NVIDIA for the GTX 970 debacle. They might've also poked fun at NVIDIA a few times in their higher end cards, but in the general marketing I almost never see VRAM used as a thing. Just to pick out an example, I don't see NVIDIA using it as a marketing point on one of their RTX 40 cards and the marketing for the card I currently have, an MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X, is mostly about the cooling system and the components used, with some copy-pasta from NVIDIA.

The thing about the bus width is new to me. But the thing that grinds my gears about this is people seem to think bus width is the only thing that matters. They conveniently ignore memory speed, which you need to determine the bandwidth. Otherwise we should start saying PCIe is the dumbest thing in the world because we went from a 32/64-bit parallel interface to a 1-bit serial interface.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Where did you see this?

The only time I heard something remotely official that more VRAM was better was AMD poking fun at NVIDIA for the GTX 970 debacle. They might've also poked fun at NVIDIA a few times in their higher end cards, but in the general marketing I almost never see VRAM used as a thing. Just to pick out an example, I don't see NVIDIA using it as a marketing point on one of their RTX 40 cards and the marketing for the card I currently have, an MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X, is mostly about the cooling system and the components used, with some copy-pasta from NVIDIA.

The thing about the bus width is new to me. But the thing that grinds my gears about this is people seem to think bus width is the only thing that matters. They conveniently ignore memory speed, which you need to determine the bandwidth. Otherwise we should start saying PCIe is the dumbest thing in the world because we went from a 32/64-bit parallel interface to a 1-bit serial interface.

Yeah, I remember some people around here flipping out when some GDDR6 GPUs were coming out but there were interface changes and they blew their lids about bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.