[SOLVED] VRM Fan Header???

Nov 29, 2020
So I'm a bit confused, the online manual shows how to install this fan, but doesn't actually show which header to use. Where exactly should this fan be hooked into?

unknown.png

The motherboard is the Maximus Hero XII, btw.

Solution
Generally you should be using the CPU_FAN header only for some component of the cooling system for your actual CPU chip. That may be a fan on the CPU heatsink, a pump of an AIO kit, or rad fans - it depends on what your CPU cooler system is.

For that extra fan (VRM etc.), you could use the CPU_OPT header. It is guided by the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and that's likely a good indicator of overall system load. Or you could use one of the CHA_FAN1, 2 or 3 headers that are usually guided by a mobo temp sensor. You mobo manual does NOT say anything about this, but SOME mobos have more that one temp sensor on the mobo, including one in the VRM system area, and you can choose which temp sensor to use for some of your headers.

Lutfij

Titan
The motherboard you have has 8 fan headers, use any one. If you turn to page 1-9, you'll see a list of headers and the amperage they support as well as what headers are controllable. The Full speed would mean that they will run at full speed all the time which is handy for AIO's.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Nov 29, 2020
The motherboard you have has 8 fan headers, use any one. If you turn to page 1-9, you'll see a list of headers and the amperage they support as well as what headers are controllable. The Full speed would mean that they will run at full speed all the time which is handy for AIO's.

So it would work with the CPU_FAN header? I tried this with my current motherboard (Asus Z390-E Gaming) and it did not run at all.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Generally you should be using the CPU_FAN header only for some component of the cooling system for your actual CPU chip. That may be a fan on the CPU heatsink, a pump of an AIO kit, or rad fans - it depends on what your CPU cooler system is.

For that extra fan (VRM etc.), you could use the CPU_OPT header. It is guided by the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and that's likely a good indicator of overall system load. Or you could use one of the CHA_FAN1, 2 or 3 headers that are usually guided by a mobo temp sensor. You mobo manual does NOT say anything about this, but SOME mobos have more that one temp sensor on the mobo, including one in the VRM system area, and you can choose which temp sensor to use for some of your headers.

Solution
Nov 29, 2020

The cooler I chose (the h150i Elite Capellix from Corsair) for uses a 3-pin tach, but the CPU_FAN header has 4 pins. Will this be a problem?