Question VSR not working on new monitor ?

Aug 29, 2024
So I just got myself a brand new AOC monitor that uses a DisplayPort cable and is a VA Panel. Now my old monitor was an IPS and used a HDMI cable and the VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) worked with that one.
I could select 4k resolution if I wanted to in games and it worked perfectly with no issues.

But with the new monitor, whenever I enable VSR and try to select anything above the native res of the monitor (1080p) it just gives no input signal. Is it because I'm now using DisplayPort instead of HDMI?
The PC itself is exactly the same specs as it was with my previous monitor.

I also tried to make my hz to 60 instead of the default 165 for the higher resolutions but no matter what I do I can't do anything.

Oh, also an interesting thing for some reason, without VSR it even shows me I can select 1440p for my monitor yet it doesn't support it and it's only 1080p.?

Sep 3, 2024
Here are a few steps to unravel the mystery:

DisplayPort vs. HDMI:
DisplayPort and HDMI are both powerful enchantments for connecting monitors, but they have their quirks.
It’s unlikely that the switch from HDMI to DisplayPort is causing the issue directly. Both interfaces can handle high resolutions and refresh rates.
However, let’s explore other possibilities.
VSR and Native Resolution:
VSR allows you to simulate higher resolutions than your monitor’s native resolution. It’s like casting an illusion spell!
When you enable VSR, your GPU renders the game at a higher resolution (e.g., 4K), and then scales it down to fit your monitor’s native resolution (e.g., 1080p).
If your monitor doesn’t support the scaled resolution, it might result in the “no input signal” issue.
Check Monitor Settings:
Access your monitor’s on-screen display (OSD) menu.
Confirm that the input source (DisplayPort) is correctly selected.
Also, ensure that the monitor’s native resolution (1080p) is set as the default.
GPU Driver Update:
Update your GPU drivers to the latest version. Sometimes, newer drivers improve compatibility with different display interfaces.
Visit the official website of your GPU manufacturer (NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel) to download the latest drivers.
VSR Configuration:
In your GPU control panel AarpMembership (NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings), check the VSR settings:
Disable VSR temporarily.
Set your monitor’s native resolution (1080p) as the primary resolution.
Save the changes and restart your system.
Re-enable VSR and try selecting higher resolutions again.
Monitor Compatibility:
Some monitors have limitations on which scaled resolutions they support.
Check the official specifications for your AOC monitor to see if it explicitly lists supported VSR resolutions.
If 1440p isn’t supported, it might explain why you can’t select it even without VSR.
Cable Quality:
Ensure you’re using a high-quality DisplayPort cable. Sometimes, a faulty or low-quality cable can cause signal issues.
If possible, try a different DisplayPort cable to rule out any cable-related problems.
Hz Settings:
Setting your refresh rate to 60 Hz is a good idea for higher resolutions.
Make sure your monitor supports the chosen refresh rate at the selected resolution.
Test Different Resolutions:
Experiment with different scaled resolutions (e.g., 1440p, 4K) to see if any of them work without causing the “no input signal” issue.
If a specific resolution consistently fails, it might not be supported by your monitor.