[SOLVED] W10 refuses to shut down / restart on time

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioactivejawa

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
Had a driver failure for the GPU yesterday while tinkering with an old game, restarted the PC as normal. Everything worked (and keeps working) fine except for the fact I can't open the Nvidia Control Panel anymore and Windows is refusing to shut down or restart the PC whenever I click on the buttons in the start menu. I get a delayed shutdown or restart after a couple of minutes, and then it just sits there with the little balls circling until I forcefully shut it down by pressing the case's button.

I first thought of corrupt Nvidia drivers after the error, so I ran DDU and let it do its thing to no success. I've also tried to turn off Farst Startup and unplug it from power for 5-10 minutes. Problem still persists. Everything else works fine, but this is annoying, specially the NVCP part, as I can't properly set up my image settings.

Colif

Win 11 Master
any errors showing in DXDIAG?

right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

does it shutdown from safe mode? I know safe mode works since you run ddu... did you try to restart PC without drivers installed?

What GPU is it? Can you test it works in another PC? Tried any games since error yesterday? How did it fail? restart drivers or turn off monitor?

radioactivejawa

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
any errors showing in DXDIAG?

right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

does it shutdown from safe mode? I know safe mode works since you run ddu... did you try to restart PC without drivers installed?

What GPU is it? Can you test it works in another PC? Tried any games since error yesterday? How did it fail? restart drivers or turn off monitor?

Sorry for the late reply, but the problem solved itself after updating to the lastest build of W10 Insider. I guess some critical files and/or registry entries got messed up after that driver failure. Gave it a few days before reporting back, but ended up completely forgetting about it, lol. Thanks for the help tho, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.