Question w10 updates always make my windows not bootable

Oct 26, 2020
Hi,

I've bought new drive recently (about a month ago) and I've installed windows 10 on it. It's original windows 10, iso downloaded from microsoft's own website, licenced and all... I normally never install windows updates because they always give me trouble. In fact until I bought that new drive my old windows10 was still on 1709 version. This time I wanted to update everything to latest once at least then I was going to disable windows update again. And nightmare begun. The moment I let windows install that updates after the first half (windows says updates are done by 30% then restarts the pc) I get BSOD with code PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. Now this is not just one time thing. It's consistent. I always get this bsod and never get to see desktop. Since then I've clean installed windows 3 more times and on those 2 occasions same thing happened. Now I'm on my 4th format and despite disabling windows update service it looks like it somehow reactivated itself and downloaded windows updates without asking me. I've seen that windows update icon on my taskbar today and I know how this will end. The moment I restart my pc to install updates that microsoft has so kindly downloaded for me, I'll get stuck in BSOD hell and will be forced to format my pc all over again.

Now my question is how can I avoid this? Is there a way to delete the downloaded update files and stop windows asking me to restart for update? Or do you know why I cannot update my windows at all and have solution for it? I'm honestly considering to run linux at this point, this is literally unusable for me. I cannot format my OS every week.

If your computer is bsod'ing then restart three or 4 times the repair screen should come up. try to restore.
Another option using boot media - install cd or a usb with boot files. Find and install 1803 ( i think this version can have updates disabled.)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC?

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA can be a driver error or ram. if it works fine in previous versions we have to assume its a driver.

if its a recent install, can you look and see how big your memory.dmp file is on C drive. if its less than 1gb you could copy that to another location and upload it and we can see what driver might be the cause.

Oct 26, 2020
What are specs of the PC?

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA can be a driver error or ram. if it works fine in previous versions we have to assume its a driver.

if its a recent install, can you look and see how big your memory.dmp file is on C drive. if its less than 1gb you could copy that to another location and upload it and we can see what driver might be the cause.

It didn't work on previous versions. I never used windows update because of exactly these kind of problems. And about the memory dump as I said I get this BSOD after trying to update my windows and afterwards it always gives that BSOD no matter what. I cannot get to desktop. I cannot get that memory.dmp file you mentioned if I cannot access my os. I don't have another pc to plug my ssd in.

Specs are:
msi h97 pc mate motherboard
corsair vs650 psu
intel i7 4790 cpu
16gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram (I don't remember the brand)
no dedicated gpu

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 should have all the drivers for that motherboard built into to it. Probbaly updated versions of some of the drivers like sound, lan & Intel VGA

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Oct 26, 2020
win 10 should have all the drivers for that motherboard built into to it. Probbaly updated versions of some of the drivers like sound, lan & Intel VGA

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.
https://prnt.sc/v7gmfa

Colif

Win 11 Master
Intel Smart Connect Technology doesn't appear to work with win 10 - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...hnologies/intel-smart-connect-technology.html newest drivers there are from 2014, although you have drivers from 2016 installed.

its not a driver on your motherbaord website? wonder where that came from?
correction: its not a win 10 driver on there, it shows for win 8.1 and 7 though.

I would remove it and see if it helps

Oct 26, 2020
Intel Smart Connect Technology doesn't appear to work with win 10 - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...hnologies/intel-smart-connect-technology.html newest drivers there are from 2014, although you have drivers from 2016 installed.

its not a driver on your motherbaord website? wonder where that came from?
correction: its not a win 10 driver on there, it shows for win 8.1 and 7 though.

I would remove it and see if it helps

I didn't install any drivers, windows 10 installed them itself. Trying to uninstall that and then go for windows update is a bit risky for me at this point since if it is not about that then I might have to format my pc again. But I'm delaying the inevitable anyway thanks to microsoft forcing these windows updates down my throat. I'll uninstall the driver and see how it goes when windows forces me to restart for update. Thanks for you answers I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: I cannot find where to uninstall it. It doesn't appear on Programs and Features and I cannot see it in program files or find it through search.

Edit2: I used a program called Driver Booster 8 to uninstall that driver (intel smart connect technology) and also it told me I've had 12 drivers that were out of date. While trying to update them I got BSOD (with the same code) and went through system restore to undo whatever that program did. Well at least it allowed me to uninstall the driver I wanted to uninstall. After that I saw that intel has a tool to scan pc for drivers. Turns out my hd graphics driver was out of date (by 4 years) and I updated that one as well. This is how it looks now https://prnt.sc/v7hr85

Edit3: For some reason windows doesn't update when I shutdown the pc by choosing the "Update and Shutdown" option. It doesn't do anything when I go to settings > windows update and click restart either. Pc just restarts or shutdowns without updating.

Last edited: