[SOLVED] W7-64 freezes at normal log-in, safe mode ok.

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Backstory below, I don't think it matters.* New mobo, OK for less than an hour & I notice erratic kb and mouse, sometimes no input. I wasn't on the web, no lan. Next day it locks up at log-in, pw request in normal mode. I'm thinking it's about usb &/or the mobo, but it's fine/ok in safe mode. I know it's not hardware by temp use of subst hd (laptop) W7. It's Windows locking up.

Tried lots of diagnosis W7. sys32 file check, start-up list where you disable everything, chkdsk, maybe others. Event view no help because error codes that show are no web connection or blind alleys. Of course no "error" because user never logged in. !

I saw open-source product Hiren boot. Old thread here but no info. I may try it but any advice welcome.

*I went against my own advice & got another Z97 bc price was right. This after 2 Asus Z97 fails. No connection afaics.

MSI Z97 PC Mate
Intel I-7 4790
Crucial 500GB SSD
G-skill Sniper 16MB
No GPU needed.

Solution
I don't understand this at all. When I replaced one Asus Z97 with another a few months ago, it was A-OK immediately. At some point I had to "activate" by valid license code. No problem and no need to clean install. My exper MS requires activation with valid code for any hardware change it can detect. Clean install always required? Never heard of it & contrary to my 20 yrs exp as dyi builder.

I don't want to be argumentative, am interested what your basis is. Crossed my mind this was about activation, but why would everything be good in safe mode? Can't activate in safe mode, I learned.
When presented with a new motherboard, sometimes the old OS works, sometimes it does not.

3 basic possibilities:
  1. It...
BIOS is up to date?

Check the SSD with crucial storage executive

reset the BIOS by jumper
eventually replace the BIOS battery

try the motherboard outside the case

did you connect the mouse and keyboard to USB2.0 or 3.0?

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

D

Deleted member 14196

When you get a new motherboard you need to reinstall windows format to drive and install windows clean

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
When you get a new motherboard you need to reinstall windows format to drive and install windows clean

I don't understand this at all. When I replaced one Asus Z97 with another a few months ago, it was A-OK immediately. At some point I had to "activate" by valid license code. No problem and no need to clean install. My exper MS requires activation with valid code for any hardware change it can detect. Clean install always required? Never heard of it & contrary to my 20 yrs exp as dyi builder.

I don't want to be argumentative, am interested what your basis is. Crossed my mind this was about activation, but why would everything be good in safe mode? Can't activate in safe mode, I learned.

USAFRet

Titan

When presented with a new motherboard, sometimes the old OS works, sometimes it does not.

3 basic possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3. There is no 100% either way.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Yet here you are presenting us with this problem. If everything was OK you wouldn’t be posting here

When you replace motherboard (even with same chipset), chipset drivers need to be reinstalled. This is absolute minimum. Most likely some other drivers will need to be reinstalled too.
If you replace with different chipset motherboard, then only sure way to resolve all issues, is full reinstall.

Sometimes there are no issues/ or very minor/easy fixable ones. But this obviously is not your case.