Wait until April for Ryzen2 or go with 8700K

Feb 24, 2018
Hello,

I have recently started looking into upgrading my build. My processor, mobo, and RAM, are several years old (over 5 years). Current specs are listed below, but here is what I need help on -

Do I wait until April for the Ryzen2 or is the Intel 8700K going to be my best bet for max (gaming) performance? I mainly use my rig for gaming, some browsing, and the occasional watching of video.

Current equipment -

CPU: AMD FX-8350
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 16Gb DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake 850W (gold cert)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
1Tb SSD

Playing at 3440 x 1440 resolution with a Gsync monitor 100Hz.

Thanks in advance for your help, please let me know if you require any further information.

Solution
If I had to guess no ryzen 2 CPU will outperform the 8700k in gaming, they may trade blows in some games but I would think the 8700k will come out on top in most. Just a guess however.

That said at a resolution of 3440x1440 I doubt you would notice any difference between a say a current ryzen R7 1700 and an 8700k, the majority of the load will be on the GPU at that resolution in pretty much any game.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If I had to guess no ryzen 2 CPU will outperform the 8700k in gaming, they may trade blows in some games but I would think the 8700k will come out on top in most. Just a guess however.

That said at a resolution of 3440x1440 I doubt you would notice any difference between a say a current ryzen R7 1700 and an 8700k, the majority of the load will be on the GPU at that resolution in pretty much any game.

Solution

Spank1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
For 1440p gaming the 8700k will be a good match for the 1080ti, it will definately beat any current Ryzen at that resolution.

It is so close to the Ryzen 2 release that I would wait and see how good that is, if nothing else it may help the price of the 8700K to be reduced a little due to the extra competition.

Whatever you decide you have a top end GPU so don't cheap out on the memory, good DDR4 seems more tuneable than DDR3 was which means it will have a larger effect on performance if you play with it. If you haven't already done so you will be able to get a fair jump in performance from overclocking your FX 8350 in the mean time. That CPU also benefits from good quality fast DDR3 if you have it as long as you get the North Bridge & HT link speeds right.