Question "Wake on Lan" not working with a WAN configuration ?

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
Hello i have this configuration routers: fiberconnection----fritzboxrouter-----redmirouter----PC
Actually dhcp in on in the two routers, different ip, and connection from fritz to redmi is wan-lan
i need to use wan on redmi for use the miwifi e mihome android app with the router, if i connect the router in lan those app stop working
The problem is that wake on lan skill is not working with this configuration, wake on lan only work when i remove dhcp from redmi router and setting on it a ip address of the same family of fritz router with a lan-lan connection. Is possible solve this problem in some way? port forwarding, clone mac address or some option on fritz or redmi router? let me know, thanks!
For who want know.. i need 2 routers for home esigences, so actually i need this config

skill is this https://www.wolskill.com/index.html

Last edited:
Your post is a little hard to understand.

Your main problem is there is no such thing as "Wake on WAN". The Wake on LAN uses mac addresses it does not use IP addresses. This means the wake signal must be sent from a machine on the same network/lan.

The confusion comes because there are a bunch of apps written by people that do not really understand how this works and think you can use IP addresses. It might work for a few minutes but then ARP tables timeout in the router and it no longer function.

The best option is to use one of microsofts power save/sleep modes rather than WoL. There is almost no difference in the power consumption. Another way is to use the Bios option that boots on power restore and use one of the fancy power outlets that let you turn off and on the power remotely.

Other wise you need some device on the LAN to send the signal. You could use something like a raspberry pi or buy a router that lets you log into the router and ask it to send a WoL packet on the local network for you. WoL tends to not work real well even when it works. Many times you must send the packet multiple times.

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
Your post is a little hard to understand.

Your main problem is there is no such thing as "Wake on WAN". The Wake on LAN uses mac addresses it does not use IP addresses. This means the wake signal must be sent from a machine on the same network/lan.

The confusion comes because there are a bunch of apps written by people that do not really understand how this works and think you can use IP addresses. It might work for a few minutes but then ARP tables timeout in the router and it no longer function.

The best option is to use one of microsofts power save/sleep modes rather than WoL. There is almost no difference in the power consumption. Another way is to use the Bios option that boots on power restore and use one of the fancy power outlets that let you turn off and on the power remotely.

Other wise you need some device on the LAN to send the signal. You could use something like a raspberry pi or buy a router that lets you log into the router and ask it to send a WoL packet on the local network for you. WoL tends to not work real well even when it works. Many times you must send the packet multiple times.
i already have set the bios option
is not possible open some port on the fritz router for make work the wake on wan?

well the two routers share the same network

kanewolf

Titan
i already have set the bios option
is not possible open some port on the fritz router for make work the wake on wan?

well the two routers share the same network
It is not possible to "open a port" because opening a port is an IP based function. WOL is not IP based.
If WOL over WAN is that important, then you need to get a primary router that you can remotely log into and the router can send the WOL packet. There are routers with that functionality.

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
It is not possible to "open a port" because opening a port is an IP based function. WOL is not IP based.
If WOL over WAN is that important, then you need to get a primary router that you can remotely log into and the router can send the WOL packet. There are routers with that functionality.
my primary router is the fritzbox 7530, is possible?

kanewolf

Titan
my primary router is the fritzbox 7530, is possible?
This page says you can do WOL with that router -- https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...etwork-devices-over-the-internet-Wake-on-LAN/
I would recommend that you use a VPN to log into the router rather than opening the web page to the internet. The web interface exposed on the internet is a high attack likelyhood.
Here is an article on using a VPN to connect to the router -- https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...connection-to-FRITZ-Box-in-Windows-FRITZ-VPN/

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
This page says you can do WOL with that router -- https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...etwork-devices-over-the-internet-Wake-on-LAN/
I would recommend that you use a VPN to log into the router rather than opening the web page to the internet. The web interface exposed on the internet is a high attack likelyhood.
Here is an article on using a VPN to connect to the router -- https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...connection-to-FRITZ-Box-in-Windows-FRITZ-VPN/
and then what do?

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
What are you expecting for help? I provided a tutorial article on setting up WOL on your router. Then I provided a tutorial article on setting up a VPN endpoint on the router so that you can remotely access it securely. If you have those two things setup correctly, then you can use the router to sent the wake to the PC.
ok, but with this method can i wale on lan/wan with alexa and this app? https://www.wolskill.com/

This is where you need to actually read what you posted.

At least they admit this restriction many sites pretend you can make WoL work through a consumer router. Most routers do not allow you to send traffic to the broadcast IP address because it can be used as a denial of service attack.

"Current Linksys routers do not support forwarding traffic to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 "

You can try it but I bet your router does not allow it.

This is all a hack to try to get something to work that was never designed to work this way. It is wake on LAN and is not designed to work via a WAN.

Maybe you would be better spending your time to fix your network in your house not to have 2 routers. Most people that actually have a need for 2 routers already understand all the restrictions it place on them. The vast majority of people are best off with only 1 router. If you need better wifi coverage run the second router as a AP

This is where having some actual network knowledge helps.

You have been told multiple times. Wake on LAN uses MAC addresses not IP addresses not port numbers, MAC addresses. Anything related to port forwarding or dmz is IP addresses. MAC addresses do not pass between different IP subnets/networks.

Everything you see that claims to make this work with wake on WAN requires some kind of non standard hack to make it function.

Again why do you have 2 routes to begin with. That is the cause of your problem so if you can run just 1 wake on lan will function....well mostly function it is very flaky even when it works.

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
This is where having some actual network knowledge helps.

You have been told multiple times. Wake on LAN uses MAC addresses not IP addresses not port numbers, MAC addresses. Anything related to port forwarding or dmz is IP addresses. MAC addresses do not pass between different IP subnets/networks.

Everything you see that claims to make this work with wake on WAN requires some kind of non standard hack to make it function.

Again why do you have 2 routes to begin with. That is the cause of your problem so if you can run just 1 wake on lan will function....well mostly function it is very flaky even when it works.
i see
there is a option of mac address cloning in the redmi router
could help this?

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
No. That is to set the WAN MAC address of the router. Not related to anything on the LAN.
wkeonlan-png.430135

the last option could be?

Why do you connect your android device to the fritz router why don't you connect it to the redmi router. When the android device is on the same lan network it should be able to send a WoL packet.

It has been explained multiple times why you can't make wake on WAN work.

The only way to even think to accomplish this is if the redmi router has some special app that can be used to wake a pc. This would be something custom that is not actually wake on lan even. The fritz router actually is one of the rare ones that has a web interface. Your other router would also need something similar.
You are going to have to look through the manual and see if there is any special app, from the little I can find the router you call redmi is some kind of device made by XIAOMI and these appear to be very simple routers with not a lot of fancy features.

Maybe try a different solution. If you already have home automation software consider using one the automated power plugs that lets you turn outlets on and off. You can then set the pc to boot as soon as it gets power. It is almost the same as WoL but because the power plugs are many times designed to be access remotely from other network you should have less issues getting it to function from the wan side of the router.