[SOLVED] wakeonlan not working correctly

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
hi so i have a discord bot that i want to wake my pc with from anywhere in the world, ive managed to get it so it actually receives the package(checked it with wireshark) and no problems there, i can start the pc thru my phone but only about 5 seconds after it is shut down and then i cant wake it up unless i actually click the button, everything is configured right as far as i know with all the basic switch WOL on in ethernet settings and power management and with bios etc.
anyone got any tips on wakeonlan otherwise ill just go and code something along the lines with servo motors that bridge the contacts for the pc or smth

Solution
hi so i have a discord bot that i want to wake my pc with from anywhere in the world, ive managed to get it so it actually receives the package(checked it with wireshark) and no problems there, i can start the pc thru my phone but only about 5 seconds after it is shut down and then i cant wake it up unless i actually click the button, everything is configured right as far as i know with all the basic switch WOL on in ethernet settings and power management and with bios etc.
anyone got any tips on wakeonlan otherwise ill just go and code something along the lines with servo motors that bridge the contacts for the pc or smth
You are trying to wake on WAN. There is no spec for that. Some routers have a function to initiate a...

kanewolf

Titan
You are trying to wake on WAN. There is no spec for that. Some routers have a function to initiate a WOL. Or you could have a raspberry PI or other low power device running all the time that can send the WOL packets.
For WOL to work you ethernet port has to stay powered on. You need to verify that you continue to have link light to your switch with your PC powered off.

Solution

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
You are trying to wake on WAN. There is no spec for that. Some routers have a function to initiate a WOL. Or you could have a raspberry PI or other low power device running all the time that can send the WOL packets.
For WOL to work you ethernet port has to stay powered on. You need to verify that you continue to have link light to your switch with your PC powered off.
no im using wake on LAN with ethernet cables from my rpi to my router and my router to my pc, tho it only works for a couple seconds after my pc has fully turned off then it stops working, im also getting the packages from LAN and ive confirmed that i do get them, wakeonlan works for me when the pc is off but only for a couple of seconds

kanewolf

Titan
no im using wake on LAN with ethernet cables from my rpi to my router and my router to my pc, tho it only works for a couple seconds after my pc has fully turned off then it stops working, im also getting the packages from LAN and ive confirmed that i do get them, wakeonlan works for me when the pc is off but only for a couple of seconds
Your original post said "i want to wake my pc with from anywhere in the world" ... That would be wake on WAN. If you are sitting in a coffee shop, you are trying to wake up your PC via the WAN on your router. That requires some device that can send the wake packets on the LAN.
As I said, you need to look at whether your LAN port stays powered on, by verifying the link lights on your router.

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Your original post said "i want to wake my pc with from anywhere in the world" ... That would be wake on WAN. If you are sitting in a coffee shop, you are trying to wake up your PC via the WAN on your router. That requires some device that can send the wake packets on the LAN.
As I said, you need to look at whether your LAN port stays powered on, by verifying the link lights on your router.
but if you read that right in the first line its thru a discord bot that listens to msgs, then it sends the magic packet via WOL so it never leaves the local network

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
There is nothing in the original post that says where this discord bot runs. Maybe it is on the PC in question. I don't know.
WAKEONLAN, again WAKEONLAN it must be running on the same network which it does, again ON THE SAME NETWORK which ive already said, just to be clear it is WAKEONLAN, oh again WAKEONLAN and it works just not all the time so why even involve WOWAN when ive clearly said that isnt the issue

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
im just gonna go and figure it out by myself cuz this is not help at all, rambling about wowan when ive clearly said that isnt the issue, ive said it works but only for a couple seconds after the pc is shutdown so everything you just said isnt even applicable to my question

kanewolf

Titan
im just gonna go and figure it out by myself cuz this is not help at all, rambling about wowan when ive clearly said that isnt the issue, ive said it works but only for a couple seconds after the pc is shutdown so everything you just said isnt even applicable to my question
FOUR times I have asked you what the LEDS on the ethernet port the PC is connected to do when it shuts off. You refuse to answer that question. Instead choosing to assume I don't understand something.
Have a good day.

I use WOL on my local lan to wake up some thin clients that go to sleep. Even though they are designed for WOL use, I have to usually send at least 10 WOL packets to them for them to wake up. I use the command line wolcmd.exe and just have that run in a batch file so it will loop a few times.

WOL isn't as reliable as it was originally designed to be so even on a LAN you might run into problems. Hope this helps.

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I use WOL on my local lan to wake up some thin clients that go to sleep. Even though they are designed for WOL use, I have to usually send at least 10 WOL packets to them for them to wake up. I use the command line wolcmd.exe and just have that run in a batch file so it will loop a few times.

WOL isn't as reliable as it was originally designed to be so even on a LAN you might run into problems. Hope this helps.
well it is atleast in somewhat right direction i guess, ill try and edit my script to loop so it pings it like 1k times just to test

Make sure the packet you send has a broadcast L2 address in destination or it might get filtered by your router/switch. And I second the fact that the card has to be powered and have an active link for it to work.
Edit: solved it once with static L2 entry in the switch table...

Reactions: SamirD

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Make sure the packet you send has a broadcast L2 address in destination or it might get filtered by your router/switch. And I second the fact that the card has to be powered and have an active link for it to work.
Edit: solved it once with static L2 entry in the switch table...
yup, ive got an Lvl 2 adress with a static ip bound to it aswell

yup, ive got an Lvl 2 adress with a static ip bound to it aswell
It looks like you refer to routing table (which is L3 thing), now there is a switching table that (usually) has its entries filled in while listening to ARP but can take static entries if you have ways to configure it. Switching table tells behind which port every MAC is located for the switch to not flood. There is a life timer for the switching table and multiple ways to update it. Often enabling broadcast/multicast will solve it but will allow packet storming and other network issues.
To find out if this is the issue, I would connect a tap between your device and the network and see if the WOL packets get across well after shutdown, so that you would be able to tell if it is the NIC/PC hardware/software issue or network misconfiguration.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
It looks like you refer to routing table (which is L3 thing), now there is a switching table that (usually) has its entries filled in while listening to ARP but can take static entries if you have ways to configure it. Switching table tells behind which port every MAC is located for the switch to not flood.
ah okay ill check that out, also i just got it working like once via my phone about 10 min after i shut it down, then it wouldnt work again