Question Wall Mount Server Rack

Aug 7, 2023
It has come time to mount my server rack to the wall after rewiring my whole home with cat6a. I am putting it on a wall with 16in spaced metal studs with 1/2in drywall on the wall. What would be the best method to mount a 6u rack totaling at about 75lbs?

If it was wood studs you would use lag bolt and be done. With metal I am not so sure which exact bolt are designed to hold best.

If nothing else get those drywall anchors used to secure say a sink to the wall. Many claim to be able to carry 100lbs on a single anchor.
If you use 4 you likely will have no issues of it ripping holes in the drywall. You likely could get them to work in the metal stud to make them even stronger.

The good ones are not those plastic ones they either are what are called molly bolts or those winged toggle bolts. They make some new fancy toggle bolts that allow you to unscrew them without the metal wing getting lost behind the drywall.

Ralston18

Titan
If wood studs then the cabinet would be and should be mounted with screws directly into the wood studs.

But even then, 75 pounds is a very heavy static load and unless there is some prior reinforcement in the studs I think that the mounting would weaken over time. How much time being dependent on the real quality of studs and drywall. Plus the workmanship of getting the wall mounting components into place. Screws need to be centerline.

As for metal studs, I was curious about their load bearing capacities:

Did a bit of research (aka "googling") and there is considerable reliance on the metal gauge of the wall studs as well as the length. And, again, the overall wall construction and workmanship.

E.g.:

https://buildmax.com/can-you-hang-a-tv-and-shelving-on-a-metal-wall-stud/

https://www.johnwebsterarchitecture.co.uk/2023/08/30/are-stud-walls-load-bearing/

Found a fair number of similar links using a "last year" filter.

However, I did not note any immediate "specs". Meaning that given a wall with X, Y, and Z specs the wall will support a load of __ 75 ___ pounds.

If you find specific specs and load ratings then a wall mount may be viable. But there may be building codes to consider depending on where you live (not asking). Details matter especially if there are inspection requirements.

= = = =

Keep it simple.

I would not wall mount 75 pounds in a house - wood or metal studs.

Use a standing rack: expensive but more flexible in that it can be moved and/or added to as necessary.

Remember that the server rack will need cooling, power, access, etc.. Once a wall mount is fixed in place future options may be limited. And there is the ongoing risk of some collapse - sooner or later....

Reconsider the use of a wall mount.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Aug 7, 2023
If it was wood studs you would use lag bolt and be done. With metal I am not so sure which exact bolt are designed to hold best.

If nothing else get those drywall anchors used to secure say a sink to the wall. Many claim to be able to carry 100lbs on a single anchor.
If you use 4 you likely will have no issues of it ripping holes in the drywall. You likely could get them to work in the metal stud to make them even stronger.

The good ones are not those plastic ones they either are what are called molly bolts or those winged toggle bolts. They make some new fancy toggle bolts that allow you to unscrew them without the metal wing getting lost behind the drywall.
I think with a combination of screws and anchors holding the plywood to the wall, it should be fine.

Aug 7, 2023
If wood studs then the cabinet would be and should be mounted with screws directly into the wood studs.

But even then, 75 pounds is a very heavy static load and unless there is some prior reinforcement in the studs I think that the mounting would weaken over time. How much time being dependent on the real quality of studs and drywall. Plus the workmanship of getting the wall mounting components into place. Screws need to be centerline.

As for metal studs, I was curious about their load bearing capacities:

Did a bit of research (aka "googling") and there is considerable reliance on the metal gauge of the wall studs as well as the length. And, again, the overall wall construction and workmanship.

E.g.:

https://buildmax.com/can-you-hang-a-tv-and-shelving-on-a-metal-wall-stud/

https://www.johnwebsterarchitecture.co.uk/2023/08/30/are-stud-walls-load-bearing/

Found a fair number of similar links using a "last year" filter.

However, I did not note any immediate "specs". Meaning that given a wall with X, Y, and Z specs the wall will support a load of __ 75 ___ pounds.

If you find specific specs and load ratings then a wall mount may be viable. But there may be building codes to consider depending on where you live (not asking). Details matter especially if there are inspection requirements.

= = = =

Keep it simple.

I would not wall mount 75 pounds in a house - wood or metal studs.

Use a standing rack: expensive but more flexible in that it can be moved and/or added to as necessary.

Remember that the server rack will need cooling, power, access, etc.. Once a wall mount is fixed in place future options may be limited. And there is the ongoing risk of some collapse - sooner or later....

Reconsider the use of a wall mount.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Unfortunately, where all the wires are already there and just waiting to be patched. The closet is pretty cold as it’s in my basement and the rack has 2 fans. For power, I already had an election friend move an outlet higher on the wall. There won’t be inspections anytime where I live, I just don’t want the thing falling off the wall and costing me more money. From what you sent metal studs seem to be stronger than wood with the only concern is them warping from the weight. I can’t see that happening because I’m going to be hanging the plywood from 3 studs and not just 1.

kanewolf

Titan
It has come time to mount my server rack to the wall after rewiring my whole home with cat6a. I am putting it on a wall with 16in spaced metal studs with 1/2in drywall on the wall. What would be the best method to mount a 6u rack totaling at about 75lbs?
My first question, is it a "server" rack or a "network" rack? The depth of a rack than can handle a server (48 inches) does not work with wall mounting, IMO.
I am going to assume it is a network rack and more like 26 inches deep. Then I would mount 3/4 inch plywood to the studs and mount the rack to the plywood. A 24 inch wide rack (typical) should be able to be evenly divided on two studs plus toggle bolts for additional support.

Reactions: Ralston18