Wall-Sized 3D Gaming With Nvidia 3D Vision

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redguard117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Rickyw972[/nom]Is this projector better than the Mitshibshi 73" 1080p dlp for $1100?[/citation]

What do you mean by the Mitsubishi 73" dlp? There is no such thing. If you mean the ~$1200 1080p Mitsu hc3800, then this projector is NO WHERE close. The hc3800 is miles ahead of the optoma hd20, which is miles ahead of this one. Analogy; Porsche 911 gt3 (Mitsu) vs Toyota Camry (this one). Of course, the Panasonic pt ae4000u is miles ahead of the hc3800, but thats a completely different ballgame...

redguard117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]http://www.projectorcentral.com/op [...] review.htm?[/citation]

I think toms has a contract with newegg in which they get discounted prices for only buying from there. The hd66 most likely isn't stocked by newegg, and thus they were limited in their choices.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]faraz1010[/nom]heads up for 3d vision..bt nVidia sucks for making it only geForce card compatible..ATI cards would have given lot bttr results[/citation]
So now Nvidia is supposed to write drivers for ATI? I think I've heard everything now.

hebe

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]redguard117[/nom]What do you mean by the Mitsubishi 73" dlp? There is no such thing. If you mean the ~$1200 1080p Mitsu hc3800, then this projector is NO WHERE close. The hc3800 is miles ahead of the optoma hd20, which is miles ahead of this one. Analogy; Porsche 911 gt3 (Mitsu) vs Toyota Camry (this one). Of course, the Panasonic pt ae4000u is miles ahead of the hc3800, but thats a completely different ballgame...[/citation]

He was talking about the Mitsubishi WD73638, which goes on sale weekly at various places for $1100-1200. I own the 65" model, and I can say without doubt that this 720p projector doesn't stand a chance for picture clarity.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
What about DLP TV's? They can do 3D, Right? A 70" DLP is well under $2000.00, unless it's a laser DLP. I would like you to do some tests with DLP.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]redguard117[/nom]I think toms has a contract with newegg in which they get discounted prices for only buying from there. The hd66 most likely isn't stocked by newegg, and thus they were limited in their choices.[/citation]

Not really. in this case I just asked for the Acer projector. Is there a reason you think the HD66 would be a better test subject?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]As usual, I was really looking forward to Monday's lead article. And then I saw this, safely applicable to but a tiny fraction of potential readers. With household median income in the US at around $50K, once extortion (income tax), the mortgage or rent, food, utilities, etc. are all paid, and dried-up credit and other economic realities are considered, a system like this is NOT readily affordable. Some people like to dream, and a few may like to drool, but I think even more would appreciate articles that are more financially conservative. Just my $.02.[/citation]

Stop whining.
Stop smoking so much crack.
Sell the Explorer and get a 4-cyl Honda Accord.
Use crack money and all the money you saved in fuel to buy $1000 3D set-up in the time you would have spent crying.

Lastly, no one should be making purchases like these on credit, anyway. Not, saying that it's wrong...

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Not interested in 1900x1200 wall sized screen and certainly not 3d (not yet anyway), but let me know when 1900x1200 projectors cost no more than $200 each and I'll go pick up a few 6 monitor ATI cards.

rtothedizzy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
The ACER H7530D seems to have almost the exact same specs as the projector in this article except it is 1080p and isn't "3d vision" certified. Anyone have a guess as to why that might be and why it wouldn't work?

rtothedizzy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
The ACER H7530D seems to have almost the exact same specs as the projector in this article except it is 1080p and isn't "3d vision" certified. Anyone have a guess as to why that might be and why it wouldn't work?

micksh

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Regarding 3D Blu-ray on dual projector.

In the comments to previous article I pointed to StereoMovie Player that supports dual projector setup - http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvply/index.html. This is free DirectShow player and DirectShow can read Blu-ray m2ts files.

Now there is H264StereoSource.dll that can read Blu-ray 3D MVC codec. It is references here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1412843
That thread is about converting 3D blu-rays to anaglyph. But can this software set be used to watch 3D blu-rays on StereoMovie Player or stereoscopic player? Or to convert Blu-ray to something that StereoMovie Player understands natively, like side-by-side MKV video file?

I think this is worth to try. I don't have dual projector though. Don, could you please try it?

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
In the year 2000, my cousin spent $900 on 29" CRT TV, which couldn't even display 720p.
Thus, 3D Vision is not that expensive.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Reply to DaFees,
Most newer home theatres, handle hdmi9 switching including 3D pass-through. I will someday implement 3D, I'm getting compatible equipment one piece at a time. I have the nice little Denon 600 watt theatre, buy appropriate speed hdmi cables for quality needed.

G

[citation][nom]kolsky[/nom]Im sorry, but 3d is NOT expensive. The acer 5360 can be bought for as low as 580 and the nvidia vision glasses kit can be bought for as low as 150. That is under 1,000... less than the cost of a 3D TV.[/citation]
Of course, its not expensive for rich folks like you who can afford a couple 980X's here, some GTX 480's there, but for us lowly peasants, 580 bucks can buy a decent system. 3D isn't expensive my ass.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]rtothedizzy[/nom]The ACER H7530D seems to have almost the exact same specs as the projector in this article except it is 1080p and isn't "3d vision" certified. Anyone have a guess as to why that might be and why it wouldn't work?[/citation]

Because it's not a 120hz projector.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
[citation][nom]elkein[/nom]Reply to DaFees,Most newer home theatres, handle hdmi9 switching including 3D pass-through. I will someday implement 3D, I'm getting compatible equipment one piece at a time. I have the nice little Denon 600 watt theatre, buy appropriate speed hdmi cables for quality needed.[/citation]

Ok yes perhaps you can use an HDMI 1.4a receiver to connect a PS3 and PC to one display, but here's my main concern. Is there a 3D projector yet that like a 3DTV uses its own glasses. I mean how can I connect a PS3 and PC to a projector and get 3D?

Ondoval

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'm not appealed to 3D anyway, but spending 2.000 $ to play Crysis at 720p with cr4py settings makes no sense, and for sure erases any interest in 3D gaming for me.

rtothedizzy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Because it's not a 120hz projector.[/citation]

I see.

On Newegg they have the same refresh rate listed (50-80Hz) but on acer's site they have the correct refresh rates.

Thanks.

G

This strikes me as biased against iz3d; try mtbs3d.com for more equitable reviews... I'm willing to bet that tomshardware took the default settings for iz3d, when anyone who uses iz3d knows that it's much better to tweak them. Also, I use an iz3d, and I have never had problems only seeing the mouse with one eye. I have tried several games, including Warcraft III and the Starcraft II Beta.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]DaFees[/nom]Ok yes perhaps you can use an HDMI 1.4a receiver to connect a PS3 and PC to one display, but here's my main concern. Is there a 3D projector yet that like a 3DTV uses its own glasses. I mean how can I connect a PS3 and PC to a projector and get 3D?[/citation]

If you're asking if you can connect the PS3 to the projector and use it to watch 3D, the answer is no, you can't.

The PS3 would have to be 2D only.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Andernerd[/nom]This strikes me as biased against iz3d; try mtbs3d.com for more equitable reviews... I'm willing to bet that tomshardware took the default settings for iz3d, when anyone who uses iz3d knows that it's much better to tweak them.[/citation]

There is no bias at all, I simply reported the results. I did tweak the drivers.

[citation][nom]Andernerd[/nom]Also, I use an iz3d, and I have never had problems only seeing the mouse with one eye. I have tried several games, including Warcraft III and the Starcraft II Beta.[/citation]

That's because we're talking dual-projector use here, not the iZ3D monitor. Don't assume a dual-projector polarized system works the same with the iZ3D driver as an iZ3D monitor.

ajithkumar420

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
totally agree with the 3d revolution but games should not be enjoyed on a projector and instead should rely on a 3d monitor and i totally dislike using 3 display monitors for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.