Question Want 5600x, will I need to upgrade PSU or cooling?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks in advance.

I want to upgrade my CPU, though my current one runs hot (up to 80+ in intense gaming), so I think i might need a better than stock cooler and some more powerful fans to shift the air through.

But main ask is: will I need to upgrade my PSU too?
I don't think so, judging by what I've read but wanted to check with the Tom's Hardware oracle!
Thanks again
P.S. I think will double my ram to 32 too, if I can afford it, thoughts appreciated.

Rig:
Mobo: B450 AORUS PRO
RAM: 16gb (2x8) DDR4 RAM Adata XPG Gammix D10 3000MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
PSU: Antec NeoECO Modular 650W Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze PSU
Storage 2x 2.5" SSD, 1x M.2

Cooling:
CPU: Wraith spire (believe 5600x comes with wraith stealth?)
Case: 2x NF-S12A FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm, and 1x F12 arctic. 2 front intake, 1 rear output.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Case: 2x NF-S12A FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm, and 1x F12 arctic. 2 front intake, 1 rear output.
That doesn't tell us what the make and model of the case is... regardless, if the side panel is solid, then it would be ideal to change coolers anyway. Downdraft coolers, which is the type that the Spire and Stealth are, do not get any fresh air in most modern cases.
They got their fresh air from cases that had ventilation in the side panel.

So yes to new cooler, either tower air or AIO.

Reactions: deusvolt

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
That doesn't tell us what the make and model of the case is... regardless, if the side panel is solid, then it would be ideal to change coolers anyway. Downdraft coolers, which is the type that the Spire and Stealth are, do not get any fresh air in most modern cases.
They got their fresh air from cases that had ventilation in the side panel.

So yes to new cooler, either tower air or AIO.

Ok great.
Do you think the PSU is ok?

I have Antec GX200 case, without a side mesh. So you are right, definitely would need a tower air I think (not sure how I'd fit an AIO in there)

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE looks about right. Just need some fans either side. Arctic F12 methinks.

Thanks again.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I think your PSU should be fine, 650Watts is plenty.

Usually I go for brand name coolers in AUD$30-$50 range, they should cope with the 65Watt TDP of the Ryzen 5 5600x just fine. You mainly have to check that the size of the cooler will fit in your PC case.

You could use a Ryzen 5 5600 (non-X) they are almost identical performance wise, then use the savings to buy a decent cpu cooler.

Of course if you have the 5600x already then ignore that.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth, which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 2600x is a 95w cpu.
Ryzen 5600x is a 65w cpu.
Ryzen 5600x is more effective and efficient, however it'll run generally the same temps if allowed to run loose because Ryzen are load-temp controlled. What that means is you'll get more boosts, for longer periods because the temps act as a limiting factor. 80°C ish is quite normally ranged for a Ryzen under a gaming load, it's honestly not a big deal, it's not an intel.

So if you are currently seeing a 10% boost above default and getting to 80° ish, with a 5600x you'd be looking at closer to a 20-25% boost, combined with the improvements of the 5600x over the 2600x and in cpu performance you'll be seeing close to double the performance, for the same temps.

As far as cooling goes, most cooler ranges offer little gains, the more effective coolers don't really lower the temps much (if any) because the cpu just boosts higher with more cores to make up the difference. You have to go big, over compensate completely and go beyond absolute full boost thermally, to where power become the limiting factor and that's when temps will drop. For a 65w cpu, that's a 200w+ cooler like the NH-D15 class coolers.

Seems like overkill, but the cpu will boost as much as it can until it hits a limit, either thermal or voltage, whatever comes first. That only really applies to PBO enabled cpus, in default settings you'll hit the 65w power limit long before hitting thermals.

Reactions: CountMike