Question Want Advice on Whether a Server is Best Option

mschwennes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
If anyone might have some input, it would be appreciated. I'd like advice on how to go about setting up an extended-family online but private center for archiving historical and current photos, maybe some scans of old letters, etc., as an online, stable historical record. It would allow family members to upload and download photos, etc., too. It would hopefully be something that would last into future generations. I'm sure that there are services out there that already do this, but the cost and the concern about whether they would be around in the future bother me. Would having a server of our own be best? Could it operate out of my home (at least while I am still around)? Is there software that could do the job, where all I would need would be a nice, big, external drive?
Am just getting started on thinking about this project and all thoughts would be welcomed.
Thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
If anyone might have some input, it would be appreciated. I'd like advice on how to go about setting up an extended-family online but private center for archiving historical and current photos, maybe some scans of old letters, etc., as an online, stable historical record. It would allow family members to upload and download photos, etc., too. It would hopefully be something that would last into future generations. I'm sure that there are services out there that already do this, but the cost and the concern about whether they would be around in the future bother me. Would having a server of our own be best? Could it operate out of my home (at least while I am still around)? Is there software that could do the job, where all I would need would be a nice, big, external drive?
Am just getting started on thinking about this project and all thoughts would be welcomed.
Thank you!
Even if you host something, it is vulnerable. You have to have AUTOMATED backups that follow the 3-2-1 rule. 3 copies, on at least 2 physical devices, with one copy offsite.

The simplest likely is to use one of the cheaper hosting services. Does amazon prime still give free space ?

I would then a regular interval depending on how much update there is on the cloud storage just download copies to a USB stick you keep in your house. You could even have different people download copies so there were multiple USB devices in multiple locations.

The largest risk is not going to be that a large provider like amazon goes out of business it is someone does something stupid and deletes large amounts of data when they say meant to move it to another directory.

As long as you are not talking about a huge amount of data it likely is going to be fairly cheap.

mschwennes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Your concerns noted. It looks like my plan just is not possible in the real world. I didn't want to use a service that requires a monthly or annual fee. Will just wait; maybe quantum technology will help with security one day. Hopefully I'm still around then! :)

The problem with Online Servers is if you stop paying, because you've kicked the bucket, all the photos you've archived are gone after a few months as they're purged. Might be too late for your descendants to get them back.

I would look into a server for your family to upload and view now. But also look into archiving with something like M-Disc's, which should last 1000+ years. Don't use burnable blu-rays as they have an organic dye which can fade in 30-50 years and become unreadable. M-Discs are etched like stone.

kanewolf

Titan
Be very very very careful with this.

If your extended family can access it from outside, maybe someone else can.

I agree with the above, and use a provider like Amazon.
You'll still have to manage multiple copies, but let THEM worry about the security.
The commercial NAS units can be a VPN endpoint, allowing secure remote access. If you want to self host, a commercial NAS is one of the safest way to do it. A BYO solution has more possibilities for misconfiguration and a security hole.

USAFRet

Titan
The commercial NAS units can be a VPN endpoint, allowing secure remote access. If you want to self host, a commercial NAS is one of the safest way to do it. A BYO solution has more possibilities for misconfiguration and a security hole.
Absolutely.

I've done that with my QNAP.

As well as hosting wedding pics within my Amazon Prime account.

mschwennes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
The problem with Online Servers is if you stop paying, because you've kicked the bucket, all the photos you've archived are gone after a few months as they're purged. Might be too late for your descendants to get them back.

I would look into a server for your family to upload and view now. But also look into archiving with something like M-Disc's, which should last 1000+ years. Don't use burnable blu-rays as they have an organic dye which can fade in 30-50 years and become unreadable. M-Discs are etched like stone.
Wow, never heard of M-Discs. Will look into that, too. Thx!