Want feedback on custom built PC

tortois3

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hello everyone, I recently picked out a bunch of parts for a new PC that will be used for many purposes, including: gaming, surfing the web, watching videos, listening to music and much more. Can someone tell me if everything is OK and nothing needs reconsidering? Also, I would appreciate it if you could leave feedback on the PC (e.g whether it could be improved without increasing the budget etc.)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k LGA1155 3.4GHz Quad Core w/ included fan

RAM: Kingston KVR16N11/4 (2 X 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6670 2GB w/ included fan

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

POWER SUPPLY: CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-J3 500W

MOBO: ASRock H77M Motherboard (2X DDR3, Socket 1155, Intel H77 Chipset)

Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II w/ 2 Fans (1 x 140x25mm Blue LED, 1 x 120mm [LED at the front, other at the rear)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS SATA DVDRW Drive

And other goodies that do not need mentioning.

Thanks for your time! :hello:

prodigydoo

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
i would chuck in a cheap ssd.. something like the OCZ Agility 3 120gb.. 500r/w..
ssd's are worth it imo, you instantly see such a huge speed improvement

other than that.. i have that cpu, i have it watercooled and clocked at 4.2 very comfortably..

i would possibly consider a slightly better motherboard, having 4 slots of ram is a good idea for future upgrades, especialy with the price of ram going down so rapidly

o and as i always say, if you want to save a bit of cash.. dont bother with a dvd drive, you can install os's from a flash drive and get movies/software/games/ect online so there really isnt any reason for one anymore

good luck with your build, hope it goes well for you :)

The i7 is wasted money for what you are doing. Get an i5.

If you are gaming the 6670 is way too low end unless your at a very low res, a 7850 would be about the minimum id suggest at 1080p. Also comes with farcry 3 Free.

Cooler master makes garbage PSUs at the low end, with the extreme power plus ones being really bad. You want a quality one. Seasonic, corsair, xfx, antec etc

You should repost in new build and follow this

www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

People will be happy to suggest builds and can do better if they know the information in there

tortois3

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for the reply =). I'm trying to make it cheap so I decided not to but an SSD. Also, I prefer having an Optical Drive cause you never know when you need one =P.

tortois3

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. The PSU comes with the case and I'm cutting it close to my designated budget, so I had to take some cash by lowering my GPU. Anyways, i'll take your information into account for the future.