Want to build best windows 98 COmputer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sean1326

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I want to build the best Windows 98 computer, But, I dont know where to start as far as the parts and this computer will be for gaming anyone have any ideas?

I dont think 98 can multi thread so any more than a single core processor is a waste . Any more than 512 mb of RAM and its also going to have problems too.
There will be hard drive size limitations with FAT32

The comments above to find a pentium 4 system were funny though . P4's were rubbish back then so using one now is just bizarre .
Either an Athlon 64 or a P3

The motherboard will have an AGP slot for graphics . That limits your choices a bit !

I'd use ME , rather than 98 . The same hardware limitations apply , but it is a better OS

thejohnkerrys

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
You are correct..any version of 95/98/ME cant use hyperthreading..Win ME does not have the 137gb harddrive size limitation..98 does..Why not use an Athlon Cpu/mobo combo i agree,but on a money standpoint P4s and 478 motherboards are cheap and plenty and alot of AMD/athlon motherboards dont support legacy os' and are harder to find..I would recomend Socket A as an alternate to a P3 P4.

As for agp it all depend on the slot keys and agp voltage..Vid card wise i dont see any bad things about card selection..Pci would be easy but slower and most pci cards cost more because of the universal PCI easyness of slap it in everything and it works in a hurry.

One last thing..The Majority of ppl who do a build like whats be talk about here in this post are using games that were made for a P2 or P3 and simply want to get teh most out of those old games that they can get on the cheap..

Strife425

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I did a lot of research on this topic and concluded with this setup, this works awesome.

MB: Asrock P4i65g
CPU: P4 2.8Ghz Prescott 800Mhz FSB (disabled HT)
Mem: 2x256MB DDR400 (dual channel that way)
HD: 250GB SATA drive (board has IDE compatablity mode, boot partition is 30GB FAT32)
Video: AGP: 7800GS (have to use the omega drivers) or 6800/6600 (nvidia drivers)
Sound: onboard chip
IDEx2 and SATA I x2. SATA as a hard drive works, not sure about CD-ROM.

All devices on this motherboard work and windows loads just fine, make sure you partition the disk some other way than the tools that are included with windows 98. I just used windows xp and a 30GB partition allows FAT32. Extra partitions came after 98 was installed.

Sometimes i think the system is too fast for 98SE, but all devices work. Get DirectX installed and IE6 for updates, after that use opera as your browser, you can use a very recent release of opera with 98SE. There are drivers for USB thumb drives out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.