Question Want to fix original earpods with imitation earpods 3.5 jack. Any help?

May 21, 2024
I have original earpods, their cables are: red/copper twisted, green copper/twisted, red/green twisted, one red, one green.
I want to connect them with an imitation earpods, their cables are: 3 copper cables, one red, one green, one blue

Here's a photo of what I have achieved. Both speakers sound, but the right one does not seem to receive a full signal or seems interfered.
The left one sounds good.
Seems the stereo effect is working but when I turn the volume, left earpod seems to fade and loose sound signal or exaggerate the bass so it's super annoying.
I am no expert so I ask for advice, cuz I work with these ones at the moment for basic sound editing.

Thanks for any assistance!

20240521-115622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
May or may not be able to improve the audio performance.

The first thing to do is obtain a known working set of earpods to test with the shown damaged phone.

The second thing to do is to test your repaired earpods on another known working phone.

Determine if the problems remain with the damaged phone or follow your repaired earpods.

Keep in mind that both could be damaged.

The earpod repair work is likely "incomplete" in that the connections are not fully and properly spliced and soldered.

I understand that the splice work is likely just a bit of testing. However, the test splice does need to be improved upon.

And do double check the pinouts/wire colors to ensure that they are correct.

Go online and look for audio pinouts using the make and model information for the earpods and the phone.

IDK normally there are 4 wires in a TRRS connection and it looks like you have 5. Is the extra wire for a non-signal control function? And you're talking about connecting it to a device which would normally have only 3 wires? Maybe you're not using the correct 3 out of 4 wires.

May 21, 2024
I'll make it easier and buy earpods whenever I can. I can't seem to figure out the correct way to connect the cables. But I thank you both for assisting and helping me!