Want to put a different Cooler on my CPU?

ThorZT

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I am looking to upgrade my CPU stock Cooler? I have this Rosewill RCX-Z775-LP quick installation CPU Cooler that I want to try it? Should I? And if I do should I apply more thermal compound on it, since it has pre applied compound on the CPU cooler?!! What do you guys think and suggest?

Current Build -
CPU - i5 4690k (OEM Cooler)

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0

Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Motherboard - ASUS Z97-Pro Wi-Fi LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply - Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Correct, that cooler is not enough for your CPU and will make things worse. As for the thermal paste, use Isopropyl alcohol to clean off all the old paste, then add a drop in the middle of the CPU about the size of a pea. You want a good paste like Arctic MX-4 and be sure to clean out any dust build up on the heatsink and fan and that the heatsink is on firmly. Those plastic clips can suck.
No, do not use that cooler. That cooler is designed for "up to 65w", your CPU is 88w, so it will not work well and might lead to some overheating under load.

What case do you have?

If you buy a new cooler and it has pre-applied thermal compound, you can just use that. No need to add more or replace it unless you see high temps and it's installed properly.

ThorZT

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

So I defiantly shouldn't put that cpu in right? and i think my cpu been acting up or just getting over heated, temps be hitting very high around 80-70, should i just change the thermal compound and re-apply the same cpu fan? and im also adding new ram tonight some g.skill ripjaws x ddr3 -1866 8gb x 2 so 16gb rams, how do i apply it properly

Correct, that cooler is not enough for your CPU and will make things worse. As for the thermal paste, use Isopropyl alcohol to clean off all the old paste, then add a drop in the middle of the CPU about the size of a pea. You want a good paste like Arctic MX-4 and be sure to clean out any dust build up on the heatsink and fan and that the heatsink is on firmly. Those plastic clips can suck.

Solution