Want to upgrade my build

tommyjohnny

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Hello, bought a PC a few years ago and back then I had plans for upgrading it, never really did anything to it since then... More specifically, I'm looking to buy a graphics card, because I don't have one (got integrated graphics). Here are my current specs:
CPU: AMD A8-3870 APU
Motherboard: Msi A75MA-P35
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Some Thermaltake 750W
The problem is, the PCI Express slot is gen2, what GPU should I get that won't get bottlenecked by the motherboard nor the CPU.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Gtx 1050ti is the best you can really use effectively. Anything more, even. 1060/3Gb and you'll start really having issues where the cpu is running overtime and the gpu is half asleep. Gtx 1050 is probably the best bang for $.

To put it in perspective, the A8-3870k is a little over ½ as powerful as a FX6300, so single thread games like skyrim will really suffer, you'll have slightly better luck with multiple thread games, but it's literally like trying to enter a snail in a horse race, and this isn't the movie Turbo.

Have absolutely no idea why the builder ever saw the possibility of ever needing anything close to a 750w psu, you are actually spending more on your electric bill simply due to that psus low efficiency at its current draw.
The 1050ti is the most I would suggest for the old AMD FX or APU's. It has 4GB of video memory so it should last a good long while. Just make sure your motherboard bios is up to date and it should work. Most Nvidia's are backward compatible to gen 1.1 PCIE.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($154.89 @ B&H)
Total: $154.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-11 12:29 EDT-0400

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gtx 1050ti is the best you can really use effectively. Anything more, even. 1060/3Gb and you'll start really having issues where the cpu is running overtime and the gpu is half asleep. Gtx 1050 is probably the best bang for $.

To put it in perspective, the A8-3870k is a little over ½ as powerful as a FX6300, so single thread games like skyrim will really suffer, you'll have slightly better luck with multiple thread games, but it's literally like trying to enter a snail in a horse race, and this isn't the movie Turbo.

Have absolutely no idea why the builder ever saw the possibility of ever needing anything close to a 750w psu, you are actually spending more on your electric bill simply due to that psus low efficiency at its current draw.

Solution