Warhammer Online Overcharging Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Well I guess this is one way EA can lift profits, in light of a rapidly shrinking player base.

That's a CAPITAL idea... lets not try to improve the game, lets just steal from our customers instead. It's work well so far.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It's not stealing when you admit to it, and yes I'm one of those people. I was charged 304$ over. Yes it sucks, and If this would've happened a couple days later I'd probably be sueing due to certain circumstances. But calling them theives is overboard.

G

I thought about activating my account again just yesterday. I am SO glad that I didn't.

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
It's a good thing i didn't go for paid account in warhammer :) wow is forever.... :) 500 dollars is like 2 months pay for me :D

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
reminds me of the "office space" movie when the program was only suppose to take pennies at a time so no one would notice

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
There could be a case against EA if banks refuse to reverse their overdraft charges. EA said that once the WHO charges have been reversed, fees that were incurred should be refunded. If not, EA wants players to make calls to their banks and credit card companies immediately.

The problem is how quickly overdrafts can snowball. Imagine this- EA cleans out your account with subscription fees. After that, a different, legitimate transaction tries to clear your account (anything from a grocery store purchase to your car loan payment). The funds used to be there, but now they aren't, so the transaction is declined. At best, you'll be hit with just your financial institution's overdraft fee. At worst, you could be hit with late fees and NSF fees from whoever you were trying to pay.

"Most financial institutions will reverse these charges." Note the word most.
Exactly. However, if your financial institution will refuse to reverse fees stemming from obviously erroneous charges, you need to switch financial institutions.

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]michaelssw[/nom]reminds me of the "office space" movie when the program was only suppose to take pennies at a time so no one would notice[/citation]

so does that mean someone is going to burn down ea!!!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Just another mark in the hat of EA to solidify itself as the worst mmo publisher ever.

EA: Didn't NPCube charge some of its users 2 or 3 times for 1 month of service accidently? We can outdo that!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Whenever I buy something online, I use the Visa ShopSafe system. Visa lets me create a new credit card number that is attached to my actual credit card. The number can only be used by one vendor, and I can set specific expiration and charge limits for the number. They even have the option to setup recurring payments. I used this option to allow monthly payments of up to $15 to a Sony for Everquest back in the day. That way, if Sony's system ever f-ed up and tried to charge me 100 times, only the first charge would get through. No overdraft fees, no missing money.

And in case you are wondering, I got the Visa during college, with a $500 limit, so just about anyone can get one too (you don't need ridiculous credit for this security and peace of mind).

Really, I NEVER make a purchase online with my actual credit card number, nor do I use my Debit card which is tied directly to my bank account. The internet is too dangerous to risk losing all my money over something like free shipping.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
EA shouldn't be making their customers do anything. If the bank doesn't negate fees, it should be EA's responsibility to proactively deal with the situation. It's pretty lame that they screw up and would then give you a chore to clean it up.

G

Kevin: you forgot to including your paragraph on how it's all just a big Microsoft conspiracy and how stuff like this would never happen with Apple. Because Apple is, you know, "teh aw3sum!!!@11" or whatever

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
lol, funny because warhammer forces you to input your credit card when you first register... no way around it... i'm glad i canceled this a year ago

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
As long as the banks drop the overdraft fees or EA just pays the net amount (their charges + overdraft) then no problem I suppose. The fact that it happens bewilders me though.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Whenever I buy something online, I use the Visa ShopSafe system. Visa lets me create a new credit card number that is attached to my actual credit card. The number can only be used by one vendor, and I can set specific expiration and charge limits for the number. They even have the option to setup recurring payments. I used this option to allow monthly payments of up to $15 to a Sony for Everquest back in the day. That way, if Sony's system ever f-ed up and tried to charge me 100 times, only the first charge would get through. No overdraft fees, no missing money.And in case you are wondering, I got the Visa during college, with a $500 limit, so just about anyone can get one too (you don't need ridiculous credit for this security and peace of mind).Really, I NEVER make a purchase online with my actual credit card number, nor do I use my Debit card which is tied directly to my bank account. The internet is too dangerous to risk losing all my money over something like free shipping.[/citation]

That is very smart. Unless you also happen to be one of those people (almost everyone) who swipes their card for gas, or coffee, or lunch...

The part about you limiting the dollar amount to subscription services makes sense, especially since they seem to be prone to this kind of thing. For most everything else though when you get to the end of the line it is the same payment processors, and those systems in stores don't use dial-up anymore. ATMs and card swipe systems ship with WiFi and Ethernet, the modem is there just in case. These days if you bought it with your card you basically bought it on the Internet, even if you were in person.

...and anyway how hard is it really for some kid at Olive Garden to rub a crayon over receipt paper on your real credit card.

[citation][nom]deividast[/nom]It's a good thing i didn't go for paid account in warhammer wow is forever.... 500 dollars is like 2 months pay for me[/citation]
Then you probably shouldn't be playing games. I'm sorry, but I'm not trying to be a dbag here....

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Mistakes happen. The state I live in double and tripled billed some people for income taxes this year (I was one of the lucky 600+ people) Thankfully I only owed $3 in taxes and they took $3 three separate times. A few days later I saw $3 go back into my account twice... and everything was balanced. However, I imagine had I owed $3,000 I would be singing a different tune.

In this particular instance, the one person held responsible for this mistake was fired.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
He never said his age shadow. Or where he lived which makes a huge difference. So please until you get out of the basement don't rag on other people issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.