Question Was my PSU overloaded ?

Jan 7, 2022
My PC has automatically restart them self after I play some games 1 or 2 hours (Frostpunk, Hacker simulator, the long dark)
I'm trying to figure out the cause of it. But I don't know exactly what caused it.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
CPU Cooler: intel fan CPU cooler
RAM: KINGSTON FURY BEAST 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3200
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Board: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
HDD: WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 2TB, WD Black SN750 SSD M.2 PEIe 1TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 750W KCAS-750GM RGB ( 80+ GOLD )

My PC has automatically restart them self after I play some games 1 or 2 hours (Frostpunk, Hacker simulator, the long dark)
I'm trying to figure out the cause of it. But I don't know exactly what caused it.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
CPU Cooler: intel fan CPU cooler
RAM: KINGSTON FURY BEAST 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3200
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Board: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
HDD: WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 2TB, WD Black SN750 SSD M.2 PEIe 1TB
That PSU has twice declared power of what system needs. If it's in full working order it should not be your problem.

Jan 7, 2022
That PSU has twice declared power of what system needs. If it's in full working order it should not be your problem.

Thank you for information then I have no clue that what the source of problem come 😅

Check your temps. That Intel cooler is rubbish for gaming.

I use MSI afterburner to monitor and logging it while I play game.
The CPU temp was hit 72 c and GPU temp was 62 c before my PC restart itself

I use MSI afterburner to monitor and logging it while I play game.
The CPU temp was hit 72 c and GPU temp was 62 c before my PC restart itself
When reading sensors from hardware always use multiple programs to eliminate inaccuracy. Try HWInfo and CoreTemp as well, and see if the readings are consistent with Afterburner.

Also take readings in between games in intense scenarios where heat generation is max.

Ralston18

Titan
And look in Event Viewer and Resource Monitor.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the restarts.

Reliability History is easier to understand and to work with. The time line format may prove helpful.

Also check Update History for any problem updates.

Reactions: takamelonpan
Jan 7, 2022
When reading sensors from hardware always use multiple programs to eliminate inaccuracy. Try HWInfo and CoreTemp as well, and see if the readings are consistent with Afterburner.

Also take readings in between games in intense scenarios where heat generation is max.

This time I use HWInfo, CoreTemp, and Afterburner to login and monitor it.
The CPU and GPU temp was around 71-76 before it restart itself.

And look in Event Viewer and Resource Monitor.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the restarts.

Reliability History is easier to understand and to work with. The time line format may prove helpful.

Also check Update History for any problem updates.

Thank you for your advice!
I check Event Viewer and it say 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.'

tempImageE6d9ia.jpg

This time I use HWInfo, CoreTemp, and Afterburner to login and monitor it.
The CPU and GPU temp was around 71-76 before it restart itself.
Now we can eliminate heat as the issue. Still not convinced though if the sensor itself is reading wrong data. Somehow Intel cooler and those temp. figures dont add up.

My PC has automatically restart them self after I play some games 1 or 2 hours
Do you get BSOD or does it restart out of the blue without any indication?

How old is this thing and do you have any other unit handy to test?

Reactions: takamelonpan
Jan 7, 2022
Do you get BSOD or does it restart out of the blue without any indication?

It restart directly without BSOD

How old is this thing and do you have any other unit handy to test?

I have been using it for about 4 years and I don't have a spare one to test it out.

For more information:
I try to monitor voltage while run Cinebench and Heaven benchmark.
The voltage range during benchmark is 12V - 12.096V and it run completely without restart itself.
Then I used OCCT to do Power test and it restart itself within 10 minute after test start

Ralston18

Titan
Numerous and varying errors are (in my mind) also and indication of a faltering PSU.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use or know someone who does?

You can do some limited voltage testing on the PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Just reading the link may help provide additional understanding about the PSU.