Was your DFI Ultra Damaged when you got it?

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Tyson95
I've had my Ultra-D for about a week now and haven't really been able to do much with it. The first problem is when I opened the box to find the onboard power and reset switches smashed, all of the pins for the hdd leds and power switches bent forward and the 8 channel audio connector cracked. This is all courtesy of ZipZoomFly I know of at least 1 other person who's board arrived in this condition. I thought at first it happened during shipping but the box it arrived in was in great shape and the board was well packaged. I have since tried to RMA it but according to ZZF's policy they will not take back any physically damaged items. Problem #2 my OCZ3200EL Rev2 will not work in this board whatsoever I found out on the DFI forum that any board shipped with the Bios dated 1-25 will need to flash to the 2-1 bios. There are some more things that I'll post later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else with this exact pattern of damage? My board arrived from Monarch yesterday and guess what? The EZTouch switches were smashed...little other visible damage, but I know why it was damaged and it wasn't ZZF's or Monarch's fault. The board is poorly packed.

The Karajan Audio module is packed ABOVE the board with the module itself protruding over the board, WITH NO PACKING BETWEEN, right above the EZTouch switches and the power/led pins. I have to imagine it happens fairly often. It would not take much force to cause damage, only movement inside the box.

PLEASE respond if you see similar damage on your board, no matter how slight.

Monarch graciously accepted my RMA, but is trying to make me pay shipping. I refuse to do so since this is a manufacturer packing fault. Tyson95 doesn't even get to RMA his board, but the damage is NOT HIS FAULT NOR IS IT ZZF's.

Just searching today (Friday the 25th) I have found a total of 6 people with this exact problem, some reporting smashed EZ touch switches, some reporting messed up Power/LED pins. There is a problem with the packing of this motherboard! Please, if you got a damaged motherboard, reply to this message or to the thread at AMDMB.com, DFI-Street.com or Anandtech.com.

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bonesdad1 on 02/26/05 09:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Wow, that's scary, as I was planning on buying one of those MB's from Monarch. When I do, I hope it's ok :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
It doesn't have anything to do with where you buy it, it's damaged because of the way it's packed. The same damage is seen from Newegg, ZZF and Monarch...probably others too, but that's what I have so far.

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...

G

I didn't say that I was afraid Monarch would damage, it I just said that when i buy it from there I hope it isn't damaged :smile: Monarch has a good reputation from what I've seen, and I would be surprised that they would damage anything

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pay the shipping and be done with it. It pays to be aware of the Warranty terms of any product you buy. Chaintech has the same policy. The shipping will cost about six bucks. That's only (2) Slurpees for you! :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

G

Agreed. That is very shocking from DFI. BTW, you like that word and its derivatives quite a lot, don't you? :smile:

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
"Pay the shipping and be done with it. It pays to be aware of the Warranty terms of any product you buy. Chaintech has the same policy. The shipping will cost about six bucks. That's only (2) Slurpees for you! "

Not a freakin chance...this was NOT my problem and I will NOT take responsibility for it! This is beyond whether I have to pay shipping now...this is a problem that needs to be fixed. I'm confident DFI will own up to this problem and RMA my board while paying shipping both ways!

I can't believe anyone would say "pay the shipping". You must be a brit...you surrender very easily.

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
you might want to go to a local shop to buy your DFI board, it will help eliminate that problem. I picked up my DFI from Fry's and it wasn't damaged at all. I know you'll pay a little more if you can pick it up locally, but ask yourself if it's worth the headache of having to keep shipping bad ones back instead of running to the store for an exchange.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Not that I noticed.

<i><font color=red>Sex is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.</font color=red></i>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well it is your problem now, "Bonehead"! You can sit around and twiddle your thumbs or you can send the thing in with an RMA and argue your case WHILE it is being repaired. I agree with you on the Brits! The way they caved into Hitler was deplorable! Now take an aspirin and get back to your coupon clipping and can collecting! By summer you should be able to afford a Frisbee!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
hah! beat you to it...Monarch is cross shipping my new board. I am holding onto the bad board until I hear from DFI, hopefully in the next day or two.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I think it is Monarch's responsibility to make it good through DFI or the shipper. I do hope you get it resolved, even if you are French!

G

Oooooohhh, them's fightin' words :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

BAH! The french have been running from fights for ages...why would they start now?! :evil:

or is it more accurate to say losing them...

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Now a total of 10 people discovered in less than a week with the same damage to motherboard. Still waiting on DFI.

G

Ok, that's kinda scary. Where they all Monarch customers?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Only 2 from Monarch so far, I know of 2 from Newegg, and 2 from ZZF, not sure about the others. It's not the retailers fault, I'm sure the board is damaged when it gets to them.

G

Wonder if it's just one clown at DFI's manufacturing plant like slipped or something and crushed a bunch of the boards on the assembly line lol :smile:

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
OK, now I'm pissed off.

I got my "new" board from Monarch today. I'm almost positive it is a refurbished or repackaged board from Monarch. Two reasons for believing this:

1. The only thing in the box was the motherboard and the audio module. There were no manuals, no driver disks, no sata OR IDE cables, no backplate, no screws NOTHING!

2. The audio module had been handled before. There are fingerprints all over it and some kind of gunk near the jacks.

3. I can't prove it anymore, but I'm pretty sure the antistatic bag around the mobo had been opened before. It came open really easily.

I'm ready to go Intel after this fiasco!!! Last time I buy from Monarch.

This makes me sound like a chronic whiner or complainer, but I have NEVER had any problems before with ANY online etailer or peice of hardware...always felt bad for ppls that did. Guess I was due...

pauldh

Illustrious
Well you were due I guess, but it still sucks big-time. Weird to hear about 10 such problems just like yours. What did they fall off the boat on the way in or something.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

G

Due nothing, that's friggin BS. You keep on their arses and get it fixed right man, you deserve <b> AT LEAST </b> that much for being a paying customer!! :mad: