Watch Dogs 2 Performance Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Great and thorough testing, thank you very much. But since you said yourself that High seems to be the sweet spot whereas Very High and Ultra barely look better yet demand a lot more from your hardware, why don't we get 1920x1080/High benchmarks then? I'd love to see how my 970 does. I can sort of deduce that it'll be alright considering it does 35-44 on Very High and VRAM consumption is within its limits, but a confirmation would be nice.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I agree. Please add the High preset benchmark including the 970. This is the setting I'd probably use if I were to purchase it.

Elysian890

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Getting 60 w/ texture DLC on High setting preset, 290x Devil 13

stable 60 without DLC on very high to ultra, 1080p, vsync enabled

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Its a rather poorly optimized game TBH.
Digital Foundry had big time issues getting this game to play well at high settings even using a Titan X.

You can also see that this game relies on gfx memory more than anything by the RX 480 with 8GB Ram outpacing more powerful cards with less RAM (like the Fury X).

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Take a look at the resolution ;)

Windows 7 is dead. Only for a few games the testing on two different systems makes no sense. This review here was alone a benchmark session over 19 working hours. I'm not testing only one run, but many - depending at the possible tolerance. I write per month around 8 reviews - from CPU, GPU and Workstation to PC-Audio and some investigative ones.

G

Windows 7 is not dead as performs better in gaming and supports everything. Also Windows 10 holds only 22% of the Windows Market Share, the rest for the most part is Windows 7. I think it is rather unprofessional not to include Windows 7 in test, and just to get that bullshit argument out of the way saying Win10 is better for the gaming. It would be fair to people to show that it is not what MS. claims as many f. up their systems doing upgrade to Win10 based on false advertisement.

G

In the 19 hours you could do same against both OS, Win10, and Win7 as you can run tests at the same time.

First of all, clean up your language. Second, if you think it's so easy and non-time consuming to test every real world combination of hardware and OS, then start your own tech website and do it. :pfff:

G

To prove what i was saying it was enough to take only one setup running Nvidia 1080, high end hardware generally speaking, and run against Win7 and Win10. You will see rather an interesting result from which a conclusion can be projected on other hardware configurations. That is called being smart approach.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Hardly better in gaming: http://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html

^^Uhm, no...saying b******t is NOT "just fine" on Tom's Hardware. Maybe a Moderator will help you better understand.

Now back to the subject, I'm seeing a very troubling trend with newer games struggling to average 60FPS (with ~40FPS minimum dips) at 1440p on ultra settings with the fastest single GPU (GTX 1080). The Dues Ex reboot is another. If this keeps up, I will start buying more new games for the PS4 than PC which will be a first in my 20 years of PC building and gaming.

Just as a memory refresher from May 2014, he's what WD1 did on ultra with a 780Ti at 1440p (a 970 is about equal to a 780Ti at 1440p):

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/827/bench/Ultra_03.png

A GTX 1060 is about 10% faster than a 970 and only averages 35FPS in WD2 on Ultra at 1440p. A 40% drop in relative GPU performance in just two and a half years between game series is significant. I don't recall that level of performance drop between Crysis 2-3, Far Cry 3-4, Battlefield 3-4.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

You ever played with legal software from Ubisoft? It is very tricky, to start the system every time with other cards and to NOT LOSE your license. After each 5th change you will normally stopped and kicked out. I can help me with starting Uplay each time with the same primary VGA card and switch after the initialization to another card. But it is NOT POSSIBLE to run the same game on two systems, Mr. Perfect.

The next point is that the benchmark is running MANUALLY and I have not four hands to run it twice at the same time. The difference between W10 and W7 is at the end so marginally, that it is a pure waste of time. I mentioned, that a lot of games are running better with W10 (multi-tasking) if the setup is well-done and the spyware isn't working (I deactivate a lot of services like the update service during benchmarks). This can be scripted very easy with the task-planer.

And between you and me:
Please use the edit function and prevent us before so much double posts und some bad words ;)

^^A link from August 10, 2015 ... seriously? You are providing a link from nearly a year and a half ago when drivers were still not mature for Win10 to show there's little improvement of Win10 over Win7? This of course doesn't even bring into consideration that many of the new games require Win10 to get all out of the game it has to offer (eye candy options-DX12).

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Thats not what I am saying. I am saying that windows 7 is not better for gaming than windows 10.

EDIT: Anyway, nobody bothers now with windows 7 benchmarks anymore.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This is the reason why I wrote that W7 is dead. It is the same as with XP a few years ago.
Call it déjà vu and the next generation is doing simply the same: wailing. :D

If I find the time I'll compare the OS'es again. And BTW: I had a similar problem with all my workstation tests and the transfer of the licenses back to W7/W8. Mostly all pro-apps are performing better on W10, expecially if you can use 10 cores with up to 20 threads...

G

Deus Ex Mankind Divided avg around 68-70 under Windows 7 x64 for me again 6 core i7 5930 and eVga 1080 Card. Never dips below 60FPS. Watch Dogs 2 averages around 90 FPS with tendency to go over 100FPS against same setup. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare which i was hesitated to buy because of bad reviews it received by Steam users turns out that is averaging between 120 and 144 FPS.

All the games i tested were on 1440p with the highest settings. I did try Windows 10 and all of these games run like junk which leads to the conclusion that Windows 7 is much better for gaming. This was real time gaming / benchmarking and not using some predefined benches. Deus Ex Mankind Divided under Windows 10 x64 run like junk dipping down to low 50 or high 40s on same settings. I am glad I switched to Windows 7 x64. It is not dead OS at all. The thing i noticed is that better or more complex hardware you throw at Windows 10, all hell breaks loose.

G

In nutshell Windows 7 will handle 10 Core, SLI 1080 + Nvme M.2 hardware setup better than Windows 10. Honestly there is nothing new with Windows 10 except that it is stressed with data mining layer MS. created

G

I should throw same hardware against Vista and run benches just to prove false advertisement MS. is pulling ever since they release Windows Vista SP2.

G

A reason i replied here to start with is after i saw the results posted...i was like what...there is something seriously wrong here cause Watch Dogs 2 here runs >= 90 FPS on 1440P Ultra

You have to remember that DX11 under Windows 10 and Windows 7 is not the same as MS. messed up a lot of things with Windows 10 Kernel and therefore with DX11 to allow for crap called UWP. A crap is so bad that MS. is talking about some magic 'gamemode' they will enable with new Creates update to improve your gaming performance. It is rather a bad joke at this point, apparently DX12 fiasco is catching up with them. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.