News Watch How Intel's Rocket Lake CPU Burns Up Before Dying

Would have been nice to see what happens at stock config first. How well does the normal protections work?
He already said that he did all that to keep the CPU from shutting down all the time, so that's what would happen, anytime it would go above 100-105° it would shut down instead.
Also in the video it stays below 100°C at all times so I don't see how he managed to burn the CPU at all.

Reactions: froggx

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Would have been nice to see what happens at stock config first. How well does the normal protections work?

"...it was impossible to run the Core i5-11400 at stock... The author had to modify the processor's operating parameters to prevent it from going into an emergency shutdown."

You seem to have skipped this paragraph. It seems the protections at stock work well enough that the processor shuts down to keep itself from frying. Presumably, it can't throttle back enough to keep running.

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
"-0.200mV" is obviously wrong, for 1V that would change it to 0.9998V. The stated offset was -200mV, for 1V that would change it to 0.8V.

Oh and why does crap like this continue to be published here on TH? A video with absolutely ZERO human audio content. I do not believe that it burned up at all as one cannot see such from this lame video as shown.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
"The point of the experiment is to see how the Core i5-11400 operates without a heatsink."

It doesn't. Turned an 11400 into basically an 11000.04 just to see the physical fireworks as different cores heat up with different loads. And destroying a $188 cpu in the process.

Done with an i3 2120 or q6600 that's of little to no value to anyone, that would have been more appropriate, but with limited availability, limited budgets that everyone is feeling after covid, destroying something that's very useful or needed isn't helping. That's akin to taking a 3080 and cutting it in half, just to see how many layers are in the pcb.

Sorry if that offends anyone's sensibilities, since there was a fair amount of effort put into the article as a whole, but to me it comes across as just wasting food when everyone else is being rationed.

...That's akin to taking a 3080 and cutting it in half, just to see how many layers are in the pcb.
Except unlike a 3080, the 11400 is readily available from some retailers for around its suggested asking price. And its a relatively budget, lower-mid-range processor that can be bought for less than $200, not a high-end GPU that's currently been marked up to over $2000. So, not really at all similar in that sense. : P

Also, this guy's thing is actually stripping down processors to take detailed, high-resolution microscopic images of the silicon, providing a look at their internal architectural layouts. So, that's what this chip will ultimately be used for, and getting it to run without a cooler was just something extra to do with it before the destructive dissection process.

I agree that getting the processor to run this way is of limited usefulness though, since it wasn't actually running as designed.

TRENDING THREADS